Wednesday, September 6

Review: A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2)


A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2)
VE Schwab

Published By: Titan Books
Publication Date: February 23, 2016
Date Read: July 15, 2017
Genre: Adult - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 508
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26236443-a-gathering-of-shadows
From Goodreads:
Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell’s possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland’s dying body through the rift, and into Black London.

In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games—an extravagant international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries—a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again—meaning that another London must fall.

"Standing there on display was painful enough.
Now came the truly unfortunate task of socializing"


A Darker Shade of Magic completely and utterly blew me away. I loved every single second of it. I couldn't believe how much I had missed by not reading this sooner. I couldn't help but jump straight into A Gathering of Shadows.

A Gathering of Shadows picks up with A Darker Shade of Magic left off. Lila has left, now a thief on a ship while Kell is left back in Red London with his family. The only difference is now the King and Queen no longer trust him at all.

I really felt for Kell throughout this one. He did all he could to protect and save his family and his world for the majority of them to turn on him and not trust him at all. At many points throughout reading A Gathering of Shadows I wanted to yell and shake them a little bit. Kell was really a kind of prisoner in this book and I really just wanted to reach into the book and hug him a little.

I absolutely loved the new characters added into this second installment of the Shades of Magic series. I absolutely adored Alucard, the captain of Lila's ship who carries with him just as many secrets and mysteries as she does herself. I loved seeing glimpses of his past and I ship him and Rhy so much. They were so adorable in this one. I loved seeing the start of the little romances in this book. It's not a major part of the book but it's there in the background and I loved that.

A Gathering of Shadows was such a great installment in this series but I had a really odd experience reading it that I've never had before. I was loving the storyline, the writing and the characters but I felt it was taking me absolutely forever to read this book. I don't know whether I was just reading it too slowly but I really couldn't wait to finish the book. It was just lasting me for so so long. I had my mind set that I was going to have a break from the series after finishing this book. Something short and sweet but then VE Schwab hit me with that cliffhanger! Seriously guys, it is the mother of all cliffhangers so how could I not jump straight into A Conjuring of Light. If you're reading this series guys make sure that you have book 3 to start striaght away!

A Gathering of Shadows was a great book and I really enjoyed it. I didn't love it quite as much as I did the first one but I know, as all middle books in a trilogy, it's setting up for all the crazy things to go down in the final book of the series. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

"Crossing worlds, killing royals, saving cities. The marks of every good courtship."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment