Wednesday, September 13

Review: A Conjuring of Light (Shade of Magic #3)

A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3)
VE Schwab

Published By: Titan Books
Publication Date: February 21, 2017
Date Read: July 19, 2017
Genre: Adult - Fantasy
Source: Gifted from Donna from Book Passion for Life
Format: Paperback
Pages: 666
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31671570-a-conjuring-of-light

From Goodreads:
Witness the fate of beloved heroes - and enemies.

THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...

The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.

"Bad ideas are my favourite kind."

A Conjuring of Light was without a doubt the best book of the series. The Shades of Magic series is one that has just completely and utterly blown me away and I couldn't have asked for a more amazing and satisfying ending than I got in A Conjuring of Light. It was a rollarcoaster of emotions and at one point I didn't know how this story could ever end well, but VE Schwab did it superbly.

The battle is upon us. The Black King is in Red London and he wants to rule everything. How can you fight a shadow? Especially one that can infect the minds and bodies of almost everybody in the city? In order to fight, Alucard Emery and his crew must leave London and sail the seas in the hope to collect a legendary item that just might help them defeat the Black King.

I loved this book so much. I was a little worried about starting this one straight after A Gathering of Shadows, especially after I felt that that one took me forever to read and I just wanted to finally get through it. But I needn't have worried, because although A Conjuring of Light was longer than the other books, I read it the quickest of the three. It was absolutely stunning. I couldn't put it down. It was fast paced and held my attention so much, I read around 60% of it in one day.

VE Schwab has sealed herself as Queen of Fantasy. Her storytelling is so superb. She really has written such an intricately designed world and she executed everything flawlessly. There were points in this book where I was so worried about how it would end, because I really couldn't see how all of my beloved characters were going to get out of this, and save the world that everybody loved. But I should have just trusted Victoria because she clearly knew what she was doing and she ended this series perfectly. She even did the impossible... made me love a character I had previously disliked, if not hated.

If you'd have said to me when I was reading the first book in this series that I would end up loving Holland, I would have laughed in your face. I hated him! But a lot of this book was looking back on Holland's past and explaining why he was the way he was, and I found myself sympathising with him so much. He had been through so much crap in his life and I really just wanted to hug him. VE Schwab could have easily left Holland's back story out of this book and focused more on the other charaters and events happening. I am so glad that she included it, as to me, it gave the whole story such an added depth. It made me love Holland and his story just utterly broke my heart.

A Conjuring of Light was pure fantasy perfection. I cried, I laughed and I went on such an adventure with these characters. I loved every moment of it and I truly believe that this is the best fantasy series I have ever read... and I've read a lot. I cannot praise this series enough. I just adore it so much and I know it will be a series I will re-read over and over again. If you haven't already read this series, I highly recommend that you do. It will make you laugh, swoon and cry your heart out... and it is worth every single second of your time.

"Love and loss, are like a ship and the sea. They rise together. The more we love, the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment