Wednesday, August 23

Review: One of Us is Lying

One of Us is Lying
Karen M McManus

Published By: Penguin
Publication Date: June 1, 2017
Date Read: June 24, 2017
Genre: YA - Thriller / Mystery
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 365
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32887579-one-of-us-is-lying
From Goodreads:
Yale hopeful Bronwyn has never publicly broken a rule.

Sports star Cooper only knows what he's doing in the baseball diamond.

Bad body Nate is one misstep away from a life of crime.

Prom queen Addy is holding together the cracks in her perfect life.

And outsider Simon, creator of the notorious gossip app at Bayview High, won't ever talk about any of them again.

He dies 24 hours before he could post their deepest secrets online. Investigators conclude it's no accident. All of them are suspects.

Everyone has secrets, right?

What really matters is how far you'll go to protect them.

"I don't know why it's so hard for people to admit that sometimes they're just assholes who screw up because they don't expect to get caught."

One of Us is Lying is a book that I came across after the author list for YALC was posted. As soon as I read the blurb I was intrigued. I'm not usually a thriller / mystery reader but this one just sounded so damn good... and I wasn't wrong. I absolutely adored every single second of it.

One of Us is Lying follows the lives of four students in Bayview High. Each of them a perfect stereotype of high school students, a nerd, a bad boy almost-criminal, the jock and the prom queen. After the death of fellow student Simon, a guy who has no shortage of enemies due to his app About That where he posts the most notorious gossip rumours about fellow students. Suddenly the four unlikely friends find themselves the suspects in Simon's death. But is something else at play? Or is one of them the real killer and lying about everything? Who can they trust?

I absolutely loved this book. Seriously it is just so amazing. First off the characters are just perfect. I love that our main four characters show the main stereotypes of high school students but the more you read the more you find deeper depths to them and I loved that. I loved all four of the main characters but my favourite were by far Nate and Bronwyn. I loved them and I was rooting for a romance between them so much. They were just utterly incredible.

One of Us is Lying is more a mystery book than a thriller to me. We definitely have the thriller aspect in the fact that Simon has died but the rest of the book is more of a 'who dunnit?' type of book and let me tell you Karen wrote this book so phenomenally. I am having an incredibly hard time believing that this is her debut because the writing is just stunning and so well done. Although I guessed some things correctly, namely one of the main characters real secret, the big storyline (who killed Simon) I just couldn't figure out. I had a different person in my mind as having done it every couple of pages. It shows how well this book is written when it keeps changing your mind and keeps you guessing right till the end. Oh and by the way, I still never called it. I was so surprised by the ending.

One of Us is Lying is a must read for everyone. I am not a typical mystery reader. To be honest, I usually avoid mystery and thriller books but then the past year or so I've read some that I have loved. They are pretty hit and miss with me but this one was definitely a hit and I am so so glad that I gave it a shot because it was just incredible. If you, like me, don't usually read these types of books I urge you to give this one a shot because it's amazing. This is without a doubt one of the best books I have read all year. Go read it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

"I guess we're almost friends now, or as friendly as you can get when you're not one hundred percent sure the other person isn't framing you for murder."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment