Wednesday, August 16

Early Review: The Treatment

The Treatment
CL Taylor

Published By: Harper Collins
Publication Date: October 19, 2017
Date Read: August 7, 2017
Genre: YA - Thriller
Source: ARC
Format: Paperback
Pages: 284
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35261805-the-treatment 

From Goodreads:
Cecelia Ahern’s Flawed meets Never Let Me Go in the pulse-pounding YA thriller from the Top Ten Sunday Times bestselling author of The Escape.

“You have to help me. We’re not being reformed. We’re being brainwashed.”

All sixteen year old Drew Finch wants is to be left alone. She's not interested in spending time with her mum and stepdad and when her disruptive fifteen year old brother Mason is expelled from school for the third time and sent to a residential reform academy she's almost relieved.

Everything changes when she's followed home from school by the mysterious Dr Cobey, who claims to have a message from Mason. There is something sinister about the ‘treatment’ he is undergoing. The school is changing people.

Determined to help her brother, Drew must infiltrate the Academy and unearth its deepest, darkest secrets.

Before it’s too late.

The Treatment was a book that I hadn't really heard all that much about, until I was at YALC and saw that the UK publisher was giving ARCs out at their stand and I thought that it sounded pretty good. Now, I'm not much of a thriller reader... to be honest I'm an absolute big baby and thrillers usually creep me out a lot. Saying that I have read a few YA thrillers and although I find them a bit touch or go I have found a few that I have really enjoyed so thought that I would give The Treatment a go.

I've never read anything by this author and with The Treatment being her YA debut I have to say I am impressed. CL Taylor writes YA really well. She really embodied the essence of the teenager that she was writing and I found it so believable and easy to read. My attention was grabbed and I really enjoyed reading Drew's story.

Drew's story was quite a unique one and as a psychology teacher I really enjoyed the psychological elements to this. I really liked the fact that the treatment was created by psychologists and based off psychological research. Although naturally I was very critical of these elements the author pulled it off really well. It was accurate and wrote in a way that anyone who didn't have any psychological knowledge could follow it easily, which is really quite impressive as psychology can be confusing and complex.

As I said, thrillers aren't my usual go-to read and this is definitely not going to ever be one of my top reads of the year. Not because it's not a great book, it is, but just because it's not my usual genre. It really kept my interest and I was interested all the way through and really couldn't wait to see how it was all going to end.

The Treatment is a good YA thriller that any fans of thrillers will no doubt absolutely love this book. I enjoyed it and will definitely be on the look out for others from this author.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment