Friday, November 4

Review: The Last Beginning (The Next Together #2)

The Last Beginning (The Next Together #2)
Lauren James


Published By: Walker Books
Publication Date: October 6, 2016
Date Read: October 29, 2016
Genre: YA - Sci-Fi
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 352
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
The epic conclusion to Lauren James' debut The Next Together about love, destiny and time travel.

Sixteen years ago, after a scandal that rocked the world, teenagers Katherine and Matthew vanished without a trace. Now Clove Sutcliffe is determined to find her long lost relatives. But where do you start looking for a couple who seem to have been reincarnated at every key moment in history? Who were Kate and Matt? Why were they born again and again? And who is the mysterious Ella, who keeps appearing at every turn in Clove's investigation?

For Clove, there is a mystery to solve in the past and a love to find in the future.

Oh. My. God! This series has just completely and utterly blew me away. I am always looking for the next unique series that will completely blow me away and unfortunately they come few and far between. With me reading about 100 books a year and 99% of those being YA books I find that it's quite hard to find a series that is really different from the others. The Next Together series is that for me. Never have I ever read a series that has so many different twists and turns where I never know what is going to happen next. Where there are 'file notes' that make me wonder what the heck is going on and have me not being able to turn the pages fast enough due to my curiosity and intrigue but The Last Beginning had me doing just that. I devoured this book in 2 sittings and I genuinelly am devastated that it is over. Nothing I read next will ever live up to how amazing this book is.

Clove Sutcliffe's world has just been altered forever. She has just found out that her parents are Katherine and Matthew, the heros who vanished without a trace. Now Clove is determined to find them and armed with a time travel machine there is only one way to find out all about them. To travel back. But can she travel back without altering the future?

I absolutely loved everything about this book. The phenomenal writing style, the characters, the story everything. One thing I was worried about when going into The Last Beginning was that it wouldn't have that unique way of storytelling that The Next Together had. Due to The Next Together spanning different time periods and being told in different ways through articles, prose and letters it was what made me love the unique-ness of the book even more. I worried that that wouldn't happen in The Last Beginning it is just about Clove. I needn't have worried because this book is still set in different time periods with all of those types of storytelling and it made everything even better than I could have imagined.

Lauren James has to be one of the most clever authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading her work. The way the time travelling in this book fits in to all of the ongoings in the first book is nothing short of genius. She must have known before writing the first book exactly how it was all going to pan out because there were parts of this book where some of the things that happened linked so perfectly with the first book is had me gasping and being all like 'OMG that was THAT' (obviously I'm not gonna tell you coz... spoilers duh). She is genuinely an incredible author and she has just shot herself right up to the top of my auto-buy author list.

The Last Beginning was utter perfection in the form of a novel. I can't praise it enough. It was phenomenal and stunning and everything I could have wanted and more. I am so happy I have found this series because it is seriously one of my all time favourites that I know I will re-read again and again. I love every single thing about this series. A part of me is utterly heartbroken to have read this book however because I know that's the end of the series. I have no more of Kate and Matt's wonderful lives to read about and fall in love with all over again and I have no more of Clove and Ella's fantastic adventures into the past to read about and I have no way to see how it all connects together anymore because it is over.

If you, like I was, are looking for a new unique and different series that will make you fall in love I urge you to read this series. It's utterly phenomenal. I can't praise it enough. If you're going to read one duology this year make sure it is The Next Together. You will not be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment