Wednesday, August 10

Review: This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1)

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1)
VE Schwab

Published By: Titan Books
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Date Read: July 15, 2016
Genre: YA - Urban Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 407
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.

"August felt like he was standing in a precipice, the end of one world and the beginning of another, a whisper and a bang."

VE Schwab is a relatively new author to me. I'd heard of her stuff in the past but never really bothered to pick it up. When I heard she was attending YALC in London this summer I decided to finally pick up on of her books. That book was Vicious and I fell head over heels in love with her characters, writing style and story. After Vicious I decided to pick up her newest release and it completely and utterly blew me away. I couldn't put it down and now I am definitely kicking myself for not reading her stuff before now.

V-City is divided. A war separated them years ago. One side rules with horror, embracing the monsters that have inhabited the city; one side with generosity trying to fight back the evil. Kate and August are the heirs to the two city rulers. They have always see the other side of their city as the bad guy but when their paths cross and the secrets come out they are thrown together and with no protection they must lean on each other in order to survive. But can they truly trust each other? And what of the other monsters after them? Soon them trusting each other isn't the issue... the issue is how will they survive?

I loved This Savage Song and when I say loved I mean LOVED!!! Holy crap this book is phenomenal. Right from the start I was interested in this world where there are three types of monsters. The Corsai, the Malchi and the Sunai. Each type of monster reminds me of other monsters from other books and mythology which I loved. No I'm not telling you what each of them are... that would spoil it for you. Seriously just read this damn book. Right from the start I couldn't put this book down. I was completely and utterly hooked.

This Savage Song is told from two points of view: Kate and August. They are awesome. Kate is a total badass. Coming from the side of the city that embraces the monsters and tries to control them all she wants is to show her father that she belongs with him... that she is as ruthless as he is. She goes through a major journey throughout this book. From worshipping her father to finding out secrets and realising all is not as she thought.

Then we have August. I adore August. Like he is now one of my favourite characters of all time. He is a monster and all he wants is to protect people and to be human. That's all he's ever wanted. I really loved seeing August's point of view. To me this is one of the major strengths of this book, that we see part of it from the point of view of one of the monsters. It was refreshing and it really pushes the boundaries of what is a hero and what is a villain. Before reading this book I would have automatically said that the humans are the heroes and the monsters are the villains but through reading from August's point of view it really challenges that view.

This Savage Song is one of the most powerful and amazing books I've ever read. I loved every single second of it and I cannot wait for book 2 to come out. I'm so excited to see what is going to happen with the characters next and the ending had me left mouth agape going 'omg I need book 2 now.' If you're looking for a new fantasy book that will completely enamour you from the start and leave you dying to see what's going to happen this is definitely the book for you. I cannot recommend VE Schwab's books enough. They are absolutely incredible.

"It doesn't matter if you're monster or human. Living hurts."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment