Wednesday, July 20

Review: The Sleeping Prince (The Sin Eater's Daughter #2)

The Sleeping Prince (The Sin Eater's Daughter #1)
Melinda Salisbury


Published By: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: February 4, 2016
Date Read: June 12, 2016
Genre: YA - Epic Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Return to the darkly beautiful world of The Sin Eater's Daughter with a sequel that will leave you awed, terrified . . . and desperate for more.

Ever since her brother Lief disappeared, Errin's life has gone from bad to worse. Not only must she care for her sick mother, she has to scrape together rent money by selling illegal herbal cures. But none of that compares to the threat of the vengeful Sleeping Prince whom the Queen just awoke from his enchanted sleep.

When her village is evacuated as part of the war against the Sleeping Prince, Errin is left desperate and homeless. The only person she can turn to is the mysterious Silas, a young man who buys deadly poisons from Errin, but won't reveal why he needs them. Silas promises to help her, but when he vanishes, Errin must journey across a kingdom on the brink of war to seek another way to save her mother and herself. But what she finds shatters everything she believed about her world, and with the Sleeping Prince drawing nearer, Errin must make a heartbreaking choice that could affect the whole kingdom.

The Sin Eater's Daughter was one of my favourite reads from last year. Last year I found myself obsessed with Fantasy books and I adored The Sin Eater's Daughter. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel. I was so excited for The Sleeping Prince but also utterly terrified as I know Melinda takes pleasure in the suffering of her readers. The Sleeping Prince was amazing. I loved every moment of it but oh how it broke me!

I was a little sad to discover that The Sleeping Prince was no longer following, or told from the point of view of, Twylla as the first book was. In the first book I fell in love with Twylla. She was such a fantastic character, she was amazing and kick-ass. I was super sad we weren't with Twylla and Merek any more as I loved them. This made the first couple of chapters a bit of a struggle for me. I couldn't really connect with Errin and Silas as much as I did Twylla and Merek. But I persevered and after a few more chapters I did fall in love with them. Still not as much as Twylla and Merek but I did fall in love with them.

The Sleeping Prince was a bit more of slow-paced book for me. It didn't have that addictive quality I found the first one had until about 2/3 of the way through. After that I couldn't put it down. I am unbelievably excited for the next book and for the last 1/3 of the book I was tweeting Sally going 'OMG this just happened' and 'OMG I can't believe this'. It really does have a shock factor at the end and I can't wait to continue the story.

If I were to compare how I loved the first and second book of this series I would most definitely say I loved the first book more. But I always find that is the case with me and trilogies. The second book is just never quite as amazing... but the third book is phenomenal. I can't wait to see how it all ends in the next book and I would be thrilled if Melinda announced there would be more than just teh 3. I love this story!

If you're looking for a great new fantasy series you definitely need to pick this one up. The romance in the first one is not the most original storyline but when you get to this one it really does stand out as it's own unique series and storyline. The third book is bound to be awesome and I cannot wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment