Wednesday, July 13

Review: Salvage

Salvage
Keren David

Published By: ATOM
Publication Date: July 3, 2014
Date Read: June 3, 2016
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Aidan Jones was my brother. But I couldn't really remember his face. I couldn't remember talking to him or playing with him. He was just a gap, an absence, a missing person.

Before she was adopted by a loving family and raised in a leafy Home Counties town, Cass Montgomery was Cass Jones. Her memories of her birth family disappeared with her name. But when her adopted family starts to break down, a way out comes in the form of a message from her lost brother, Aidan. Having Aidan back in her life is both everything she needs and nothing she expected. Who is this boy who calls himself her brother? And why is he so haunted?

I glance at the paper. There's a big picture on the front page. A girl with dark red hair. A girl with eyes that might have been green or they might have been grey. I sit down and stare at Cass, and it is her, it is. My stolen sister.

Aidan's a survivor. He's survived an abusive step-father and an uncaring mother. He's survived crowded foster homes and empty bedsits. His survived to find Cass. If only he can make her understand what it means to be part of his family. . .

Salvage was one of those books that sits on your shelf for forever and then when you finally pick it up to read, it blows your mind and you're left kicking yourself, asking yourself 'why the hell didn't I read this sooner'. I seriously wish I had. I acquired this book during the first Young Adult Literature Convention (YALC) in London in 2014. Hot Key Books had this great Book Swap going on where you put in a book and get to take another. I took Salvage as I thought it sounded great and it had only released a month earlier. Here I am almost 2 years later, preparing to go to YALC again and as Keren is there signing I thought it was about time to read this book.

I started reading Salvage at a time when I wasn't really getting into many books. I had just finished reading Sarah J Maas' A Court of Mist and Fury which had blown me away and stolen my heart so completely, every other book I picked up just paled in comparion... until I picked up Salvage. Right from the start Keren's fantastic writing style and amazing characterisation had me unable to put the book down. Right from the start  I loved these characters and I sympathised with them so completely for their situation and I just had to know what was going to happen to them.

Salvage is a perfect example of why I love UKYA. It's a not a romance or a first-love 'look how cute this book is' story. It's gritty, it's raw and it's real. Right from the start you are thrown into this situation with the characters and you simultaneously want to cry for them, reach into the book and hug them and push everyone towards a happy ending. It's such a beautiful, motivating and moving book that will touch the heart of even the coldest of people. It's so beautifully realistic and you really feel this happening to you and your family.

Salvage was stunning. I absolutely adored it and I really do urge everyone to read it. It's realistic, moving and motivational. It shows us just what the most important things in life are. It teaches you to love your family no matter what... because they are the most important thing that so many people take for granted. I would recommend this book to everyone. It's beautiful, moving and without a doubt a must-read. If you're only going to pick up one contemporary book this year, please make sure it is Salvage. You won't be disappointed.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment