Wednesday, July 27

Early Review: Stealing Snow (Stealing Snow #1)

Stealing Snow (Stealing Snow #1)
Danielle Paige

Published By: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: October 6, 2016
Date Read: July 12, 2016
Genre: YA - Fairytale Retelling
Source: ARC from Bloomsbury Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30309128-stealing-snow

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Snow lives within the walls of the Whittaker Institute, a high security mental hospital in upstate New York. Deep down, she knows she doesn't belong there, but she has no memory of life outside, except for the strangest dreams. And then a mysterious, handsome man, an orderly in the hospital, opens a door – and Snow knows that she has to leave …
She finds herself in icy Algid, her true home, with witches, thieves, and a strangely alluring boy named Kai. As secret after secret is revealed, Snow discovers that she is on the run from a royal lineage she's destined to inherit, a father more powerful and ruthless than she could have imagined, and choices of the heart that could change everything. Heroine or villain, queen or broken girl, frozen heart or true love, Snow must choose her fate …
A wonderfully icy fantastical romance, with a strong heroine choosing her own destiny, Danielle Paige's irresistibly page-turning Snow Queen is like Maleficent and Frozen all grown up.


"Destiny wasn't exciting or romantic or epic. It was annoying."

As soon as I heard about Stealing Snow, I immediately wanted to read it. I have read Danielle Paige's other YA series, Dorothy Must Die, and really enjoyed the series. I haven't personally read the original fairy tale, The Snow Queen, but I know of the story, as I'm sure most people do and I was really interested to see what Danielle was going to do with this story. Stealing Snow was a great start to what I am sure is going to be an amazing series.

Snow never knew the power that she was born with. She has an out-of-control anger and things happen that she doesn't mean. This is the exact reason why she is in Whittaker Institute, a high security mental hospital. But when she follows the boy she loves to the other side of the 'Tree' she finds things out about herself that she could have never even imagined. In Algid, she is a princess. The princess with the power to control the snow and it is her destiny to overthrow the evil King Lazar... who is also her father. But Snow doesn't want to rule this mysterious and magical kingdom. She just wants to find Bale and go back home. But can Snow do just that when her powers seem to be growing the longer she is in Algid. And is Bale really her one love when she finds herself drawn to two others in this magical kingdom.

Stealing Snow was unique and addictive. I really loved this world that Danielle has created. I found the book a little bit slow to start with. It was interesting when Snow was in the 'real world' but to me this book really started when she crossed the Tree into Algid. Right from that moment I was swept away with the magic and mystique of this new world. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't stop reading.

I really enjoyed reading from Snow's point of view and she really is a great character. You really sympathise with her situation and I do feel really bad for her at certain points throughout the book. She really comes on a journey throughout the book and she is fast developing into this totally kick-ass character who is going to bring this world to its knees. As for the boys I don't really think anything of Bale. She is already in love with him when we start this book and we don't particularly see much of him... the other two however... I kind of like both of them. I think Kai is super sweet and awesome whereas Jagger is a total bad boy who lies and manipulates Snow but at the same time does it because he cares and wants her to be the best Queen she can be... I like them both. No decision as to what 'team' I am on has been decided... maybe in Book 2.

Stealing Snow was full to the brim of intrigue, magic and just the right touch of romance. I really enjoyed this book and I think the next book could be even better. The ending left me with my jaw on the ground and almost bouncing in my seat with excitement over what was going to happen next. I can't wait for book 2 and I also can't wait for the prequel novellas that are due out in the coming months. I want to find out and read about as much of this world as I can. For someone who hasn't read the original fairytale I really enjoyed this book and am torn between wanting to read it and find out more or not reading it and letting this series stand for itself for me. Either way this was a fantastic instalment and I can't wait for more.

"No one really understood what it was like to live with this kind of rage and pain like fire and ice inside you. No one but us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment