Wednesday, June 29

Review: Poison (Tales of the Kingdoms #1)

Poison (Tales of the Kingdoms #1)
Sarah Pinborough

Published By: Gollancz
Publication Date: April 18, 2013
Date Read: May 29, 2016
Genre: Adult - Fairytale Retelling
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 202
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
A beautiful, sexy, contemporary retelling of the classic Snow White fairy tale, illustrated by Les Edwards.

Poison is a beautifully illustrated retelling of the Snow White story which takes all the elements of the classic fairy tale that we love (the handsome prince, the jealous queen, the beautiful girl and, of course, the poisoning) and puts a modern spin on the characters, their motives and their desires. It's fun, contemporary, sexy, and perfect for fans of Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Snow White and the Huntsman and more.

Poison was one of those books that I absolutely couldn't wait to get my hands on. I am a massive fan of fairytale retellings and an adult retelling of Snow White told from the point of view of the evil queen sounded like something I would love. I thought it would be dark, dangerous and thrilling. I wish I could say that it was but I am so disappointed with this book.

By the time I was about 60 pages I was very much like what the hell is happening. There was unnecessary sex scenes in the book that did not add to the story any more. I really thought that we might possibly see Snow White as a villain seen as we were looking from the point of view of the queen but really we saw Snow White as the innocent hero and the queen as the bitchy villain.

I really wanted to like this book but it was the most boring and ridicuous book I think I've ever read. To me it didn't add anything extra or different to the original story and there was just unnecessary things and scenes that were just pointless to the story. I will not be continuing with the series and if people love retellings like me I would suggest that they pass on this one and find a more interesting and satisfying read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment