Wednesday, May 4

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1)
Ransom Riggs

Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Date Read: April 16, 2016
Genre: YA - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 352
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

"We were like astronaughts floating through a starless universe."

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is one of those books that you think sounds totally awesome yet it sits on your shelf unread for years. I bought this one not long after it released years ago and it wasn't until I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie that I picked it up to read it. I am so glad I finally read this book because it's a pretty special one... unlike anything I have ever read in a perfectly awesome way.

Jacob always thought his grandfather was just making up stories. The boy whose stomach was filled with bees. The girl who could fly... it was impossible. But after Jacob's grandfather is killed right in front of him he starts on a journey to find out more about him... and he stumbles on something magical and amazing and peculiar.

This book was pretty slow at the beginning. It really took me a while to get into it because it took so long to introduce us to the characters and Jacob's start on his journey to discovering the peculiar took quite a while. I am so glad I kept on reading though because the more I read the more I fell in love with it. This book is a story of self-discovery and adventure and I loved every moment of it.

Jacob is an awesome main character. One thing I adored was that we went on a journey to discover th truth through Jacob. I sometimes find it difficult getting into YA books with a male main character as I am so used to reading ones where we see the story through the females eyes but I just loved Jacob. He is awesome and as he was discovering the truth so were we and that was awesome.

One thing that makes this book so unique is the pictures. I've never read a book where the story is accompanied by pictures and it fit the story and added more to the story perfectly. I can't imagine having listened to the audiobook of this book because although the story is wonderful all by itself you would be missing out on so much by not having these pictures. It'd be such a shame so I would urge anyone interested in this book to skip past the audio for this one and get the full unique experience by getting the book.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is just what it says on the tin... Peculiar... in such a perfect and wonderful way. I loved every moment of it and if anyone loves a good adventure fantasy this is definitely the book for you. It's full of intrigue, mystery, danger and a small dash of romance. I loved every moment of it and I cannot wait to continue the story in Hollow City.

"I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment