Wednesday, April 13

Review: The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die #2)

The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die #2)
Danielle Paige

Published By: Harper Teen
Publication Date: March 31, 2015
Date Read: March 25, 2016
Genre: YA - Fairytale Retelling
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 293
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
In this dark, high-octane sequel to the New York Times bestselling Dorothy Must Die, Amy Gumm must do everything in her power to kill Dorothy and free Oz.

To make Oz a free land again, Amy Gumm was given a mission: remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, steal the Scarecrow’s brain, take the Lion’s courage, and then Dorothy must die...

But Dorothy still lives. Now the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked has vanished, and mysterious Princess Ozma might be Amy’s only ally. As Amy learns the truth about her mission, she realizes that she’s only just scratched the surface of Oz’s past—and that Kansas, the home she couldn't wait to leave behind, may also be in danger. In a place where the line between good and evil shifts with just a strong gust of wind, who can Amy trust—and who is really Wicked?

"You can't just cover your eyes and pretend like terrible things aren't happening simply because you can't see them."

Dorothy Must Die was a series that right from the moment I heard of it, I wanted to read. I am a big fan of The Wizard of Oz story and a series which is the story of what happened next was one that I couldn't wait to read. And I really enjoyed the first book. It was fast-paced and exciting. Additional to that I have enjoyed all of the prequel novella's that I have read so far, so I couldn't wait to read The Wicked Will Rise. I was so excited for it but after finishing the book I can't help but feel a little disappointed.  I struggled to get through quite a lot of this one and I felt like it had lost the spark that the first book had.

The Wicked Will Rise picks up where Dorothy Must Die left off, with Amy and Ozma on the run and Dorothy and Glinda having fled from the Emerald City. Amy and Ozma must travel to complete missions that they have been sent on in order to defeat Dorothy once and for all.

Don't get me wrong I did like this book. I really like the series but I felt like so much of it was travelling and Amy in a self-loathing misery due to her not being able to kill Dorothy and I just wanted the spark and magic back from the first one. I do truly think that the third book will be great but this just felt a bit like a 'filler' book for me and it lost the magic and excitement of the first book.

One thing I did love about this book is that we found out more about Pete and Nox. I adore both boys but I was so glad with the developments romance wise. I was so worried that this was going to be yet another love triangle so I was thrilled with what happened. Nox is definitely my favourite character and I can't wait to see what he gets up to in the next book.

Dorothy Must Die is still a great series and I can't wait to read the rest of the series, but I can't help but feel disappointed with this one as it just lost the unique spark that made me love the first one. I wanted more magic and action and that just fell flat for me.

"Evil will always catch up with you. That's why you have to get to it first."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment