Thursday, October 1

Review: Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1)
Morgan Rhodes

Published By: Razorbill
Publication Date: December 11, 2012
Date Read: July 26, 2015
Genre: YA - Epic Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realise that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....


"You must continue to believe with all your heart. Sometimes belief is all it takes to make something real."

Falling Kingdoms was a book that I have really been looking forward to reading. Every review I've seen of this book has been really good. Everyone seems to love it. I was really looking forward to this as YA Epic Fantasy has fast become my favourite genre. I have to be honest and say I was a little bit disappointed in it. It is in no way a bad book, I just think my expectations of the book were too high. The book as a whole just seemed a little bit 'meh' to me.

I really struggled to get into this book. It was very slow and I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked it or not. It wasn't until I got about 150 pages in that I actually started liking it. I usually DNF books at around page 100 if I'm not liking them so there was obviously something there that I was liking or had me intrigued to make me continue reading.

Once I got to the magical aspects of the book being introduced I felt the plot had finally thickened and it got a whole lot better. I started really enjoying it... and then the dreaded happened. I turned the page for a character to say "I've fallen in love with her." Okay so at this point you would usually get an AWWWWW from me... not for this book! I was struck with utter confusion, followed by a WHAT?!?!?! Let me explain why I had the confusion. The two characters involved in this 'love' had spoken to each other a sum total of twice... and it hadn't even been a sweet moment or a romantic moment. It was just so insta-love and it came completely out of the blue. GAH! I HATE insta-love!!!!!

At this point I was too far through the book to quit and I am so glad that I continued. The ending of this book was explosive! It was so good and I just can't help but feel sad that we didn't have that greatness all the way through the book. Despite the rocky start I did like this book. It was very slow burning but it was a great introdcution to the world and our four main characters. I can't wait to continue with the series and I do really think it's just going to get better and better the more I read.

Falling Kingdoms was a slow start and there were many aspects that I disliked. I had my expectations set way too high and I was really sad to find this book kind of... average. However the ending was great and so I'm willing to give it another chance and continue. I really hope that the second book will live up to those expectations.

"Even in the darkest and most cruel person, there is still a kernel of good. And within the most perfect champion there is darkness. The question is will one give in to the dark or the light?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment