Thursday, October 15

Review: Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
Danielle Paige

Published By: Harper Teen
Publication Date: April 1, 2014
Date Read: August 15, 2015
Genre: YA - Fairytale Retelling
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 452
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission.

"My fellow Ozians - in times like these, the Wicked will rise."

Dorothy Must Die was one of those books that I couldn't wait for. I read the first prequel novella way before this released and loved it and I really couldn't wait to read this one... but for some reason after I bought it it just sort of sat there on my shelf for ages unread. After finishing Dorothy Must Die I really wish I had read it sooner. I really enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to continuing the series.

I knew that Dorothy Must Die would be a book that I would love. I absolutely adore retellings and I love The Wizard of Oz and the musical Wicked so what could go wrong? Personally I wouldn't call this series a retelling. Yes it is based off The Wizard of Oz but it's really more like a sequel. There's some major twists on the classic story that has everything from a retelling but it's really the story of what happened next. What happened after Dorothy returned to Kansas? Well... she returned to Oz of course because why wouldn't you want to be back in the exciting land of Oz.

I really enjoyed this book. I know Dorothy is our villain but I didn't really see her as that evil. Yes, she does some awful things but the more I read the more I just looked at her like a bit of a spoilt brat rather than evil or wicked. Dorothy is most definitely being manipulated by the real evil - Glinda in my opinion. I loved reading this book it is full to the brim with twists and turns I didn't see coming, it's exciting and full of intrigue and I couldn't wait to see what would happen.

Amy Gumm is our heroine and I loved her. I really felt like she was out of her depth a little bit throughout this book but can you blame her? A small unpopular girl from Kansas thrown into Oz... but not just any Oz; a dying and scary Oz. I'd be out of my depth too. But then she meets the best character in the book. Nox! Oh, Nox... I am slightly in love with our brooding, bad-tempered Witch, Sorcerer, Warlock... whatever he wants to be called. He wasn't in Dorothy Must Die quite enough for me and I hope we see more of him in book 2 because he is most definitely my favourite character.

My very small issue with the book is I felt like it was too long. It's not the biggest book I've read but the more I read the more I was ready for the book to be over which is a shame. I mean, it isn't drawn out or anything like that all of the pages are very necessary to the story but my interest just started to wane a little and I kind of felt like I'd been reading this book for forever.

The ending of Dorothy Must Die is explosive. Danielle Paige shocked us once again with a twist and I am super excited about carrying on with this series. I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to find out what happens next to Amy, Nox, Dorothy and the gang.

"Magic can't exist without goodness. Goodness can't exist without Wickedness. And Oz can't exist without magic."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment