Saturday, September 19

Review: Unspoken (Lynburn Legacy #1)

Unspoken (Lynburn Legacy #1)
Sarah Rees Brennan

Published By: Random House Publishing
Publication Date: September 11, 2012
Date Read: July 19, 2015
Genre: YA - Paranormal Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Kami Glass loves someone she's never met . . . a boy she's talked to in her head ever since she was born. She didn't spend her childhood silent about her imaginary friend, and is thus a bit of an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, she has a best friend, runs the popular school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return. . . .

"Being good's only fun when it's with you."

Unspoken is a book that I have had on my shelf for so long but just never picked it up. I bought this series last year when I saw Sarah Rees Brennan at an event with Holly Black. She was super awesome and it made me want to read her books so much. Now, after finishing Unspoken I am absolutely kicking myself for not reading this book sooner. It was absolutely amazing.

Unspoken is the first book in what is bound to be an amazing series. I was a little hesitant to read this series at first because it is about sorcerers. If you follow my reviews then you will probably have noticed how rarely I review books about sorcerers or witches... that's because I either don't bother picking them up or DNF them. I love paranormal books but sorcerers and witches I just don't gel with. I don't enjoy them and so that's why Unspoken sat on my shelf unread for so long. I don't know whether it was Sarah's fantastic storytelling or writing or what but I adored this book. It is most definitely the best sorcerer book that I have come across to date.

There is no doubt that Sarah Rees Brennan is one phenomenal author. Usually I take around 50 pages-ish to really get into the book but with this one I was completely hooked right away. I loved her world building and her characters and just everything about this book. I was so invested in the characters and what was going to happen to them right from the start.

After the completion of this book I now know why Sarah Rees Brennan is known as the 'destroyer of souls'. I was completely heartbroken by the evil ending of this book. I was on the train home from YALC 2015 when I read the end of this book and I was sobbing... on the train... getting some very strange looks. I was heartbroken. I guess this just shows how much I loved these characters for me to be so heartbroken over them.

Unspoken was a phenomenal start to a series and I am dying to get my hands on the next book in this series. If you love a good paranormal book filled with magic, mystery, intrigue and romance then you will love Unspoken. It's a must-read.

"You are the only thing in the world that matters. You can trust me."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment