Saturday, September 12

Review: The Storm (The Rain #2)

The Storm (The Rain #2)
Virginia Bergin

Published By: Macmillian Publishing
Publication Date: January 29, 2015
Date Read: July 13, 2015
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Review Copy from Macmillian Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 371
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
"I'll tell you a weird thing about apocalypses - a thing I didn't even know until I was in one: they seem pretty bad, don't they? Well, take it from me: they can always get worse."

Three months after the killer rain first fell, Ruby is beginning to realise her father might be dead . . . and that she cannot survive alone. When a chance encounter lands her back in the army camp, Ruby thinks she is safe - at a price. Being forced to live with Darius Spratt is bad enough, but if Ruby wants to stay she must keep her eyes - and her mouth - shut. It's not going to happen. When she realizes what is going on - the army is trying to find a cure by experimenting on human subjects - Ruby flips out . . . and makes an even more shocking discovery: she's not useless at all. The Storm begins . . .

The Rain was without a doubt one of my favourite debuts that I have read and after finishing it I just could not wait to read The Storm. I just knew it was going to be amazing and I was right. The Storm felt more like a typical dystopia novel, where the apocalypse has happened and we are now dealing with the after-effects of it. The Storm blew me away just as much as The Rain did. I loved every moment of it.

I never thought that The Storm would be even better than The Rain but it really was. It was full to the brim of twists and turns that left me slack-jawed as I couldn't believe what was happening. Things that I really never saw coming and it just confirmed my belief that Virginia Bergin is an absolutely amazing author. I just think she is so fantastic and I really can't wait to see what sort of thing she is going to come up with next considering The Storm is the final book in this series.

Ruby was just as endearing as the Ruby in The Rain only I felt like she had got even better. We pick up with Ruby's story not long after we left her and we still have that naive girl there but she has without a doubt grown up a little bit. She is a little bit more reserved and sensible and intelligent to the ways of the world post-apocalypse. I just loved her even more and even though she didn't grow much as a person throughout the duration of book one when you look at how she was at the beginning of The Rain and how she is at the end of The Storm there is no doubt that she has grown throughout that time and is a whole new stronger and less selfish teen.

The Storm was fast paced and amazing. I really loved every moment and couldn't read this book fast enough. I just needed to know what was going to happen. I fell in love with this world and these characters so much I needed to know if they were going to be okay and going to survive. The Storm's ending was fantastic. It left it open to the possibility of another book if Virginia decided to write another one yet it was the perfect ending of the series at the same time. I have many many questions that could be answered in another book, and I would love another book but the ending was perfect as well. It shows hope for the future in this post-apocalyptic world. I have really loved this series and it is definitely one that I would re-read. It's a fast-paced and amazing dystopia but deep down it's a powerful story of love, family and survival. It's definitely one of my favourite series.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment