Thursday, September 10

Review: The Rain (The Rain #1)

The Rain (The Rain #1)
Virginia Bergin

Published By: Macmillian Publishing
Publication Date: July 17, 2014
Date Read: July 10, 2015
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Review Copy from Macmillian Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
It's in the rain...and just one drop will kill you.

They don't believe it at first. Crowded in Zach's kitchen, Ruby and the rest of the partygoers laugh at Zach's parents' frenzied push to get them all inside as it starts to drizzle. But then the radio comes on with the warning, "It's in the rain! It's fatal, it's contagious, and there's no cure."

Two weeks later, Ruby is alone. Anyone who's been touched by rain or washed their hands with tap water is dead. The only drinkable water is quickly running out. Ruby's only chance for survival is a treacherous hike across the country to find her father-if he's even still alive.

The Rain was a book that I got for review and couldn't wait to read it but just never ended up getting to it. Now I'm all like WOW.... why the hell didn't I read it before now? This book was utterly phenomenal. I loved every moment of it and I am still left completely in awe by this book.

The Rain is a fast-paced, terrifying encounter of the apocalypse and we see it all through the eyes of 15-year-old Ruby. One thing I loved is that this book is different from other books in the dystopia genre. We aren't seeing the effects of the apocalypse years in the future and having it explained to us as to what happened to make the world this way. We start off in our normal everyday 21st Century England. And we experience the apocalypse as it is happening, right now.

Ruby... personally I absolutely loved Ruby. Her narration for this book was just perfect. I had read other reviews of this book before starting it and had heard that Ruby was irritating and annoying and yeah at times she can be... but let's be real for a moment guys... what 15-year-old girl isn't?? Yes she is in the middle of an apocalypse and goes shopping looting for make-up and fake-tan... are you telling me you wouldn't have done exactly that when you were 15? If you're answering no to that question you are totally lying to yourself!!!! Ruby was the perfect narrator for this book. This book that could be dark and scary... I mean it is the apocalypse... but Ruby lightened the mood with her inner ramblings of a typical teenager and I loved her. I'd love to say that she really grew as a person throughout the book... but she didn't. She is just as make-up and fashion obsessed at the end than she is at the beginning but she learns how to survive on her own and I adore her for that. She might be an annoying teenager but she lightens the book and she make me laugh so many times in this book. I adore her.

Virginia Bergin is such a fantastic author. I mean her narration was spot-on for a 15-year-old character. I loved how she made it sound like it was really a teenager. Many YA books have teenage narrators but really it sounds like an adult telling the story instead of a teenager... this book was way more authentic and had a great authentic teenage voice. It was fantastic. Virginia's writing hooked me in right from the start and I couldn't stop reading until I had read the entire thing.

The Rain was a stunning, amazing and heart-stopping adventure in an apocalypse that is too realistic for comfort. I found myself many times while reading thinking don't go out in the rain!!!! I loved every moment of it and I cannot wait to read the sequel. It's going to be epic! If there is one dystopia novel that you read this year make sure it's The Rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment