Thursday, September 17

Review: Half a King (Shattered Sea #1)

Half a King (Shattered Sea #1)
Joe Abercrombie

Published By: Harper Voyager
Publication Date: July 3, 2014
Date Read: July 14, 2015
Genre: YA - Epic Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 373
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Betrayed by his family and left for dead, Prince Yarvi, reluctant heir to a divided kingdom, has vowed to reclaim a throne he never wanted.

But first he must survive cruelty, chains and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea itself - all with only one good hand. Born a weakling in the eyes of a hard, cold world, he cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so has sharpened his mind to a deadly edge.

Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast, he finds they can help him more than any noble could. Even so, Yarvi's path may end as it began - in twists, traps and tragedy...

"But enemies are the price of success."

Half a King is a book that I first heard of at YALC 2014 and I thought it sounded pretty awesome. I liked this book but unfortunately it is far from being a favourite of mine. It is very very different from any other YA Fantasy books that I have read. To me it read more like an adult fantasy series than a YA, it very much reminded me more of Game of Thrones than a YA series but that's not necessarily a bad thing as I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones.

Half a King is a very slow burning book but there is no doubt how much of a fantastic author Joe Abercrombie is. He is very talented and has such a way with words. His narration is very poetic, beautiful and mesmorising. I really loved his writing style and it made the book so easy to read. Throughout the book there were many twists and turns that I didn't see coming; one of them very early on and they kept me reading but the plot was very slow in between those moments.

I remember thinking right at the start that I thought this book wasn't for me but then the first twist happened and I was very interested to see what would happen next. I am very much a plot-driven reader and I feel like this is a very character-driven book. I need lots of action and plot happening to keep me interested and so in between all of the twists, which were fantastic by the way, I just got a little bit bored.

I will read the other books as I do want to know what happens but this series is a one-read series for me.

"One hand, perhaps, but the blood of kings in his veins."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment