Saturday, September 5

Review: City of Halves

City of Halves
Lucy Inglis

Published By: Chicken House
Publication Date: August 7, 2014
Date Read: July 8, 2015
Genre: YA - Urban Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 352
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
London. Girls are disappearing. They've all got one thing in common; they just don't know it yet...

Sixteen-year-old Lily was meant to be next, but she's saved by a stranger: a half-human boy with gold-flecked eyes. Regan is from an unseen world hidden within our own, where legendary creatures hide in plain sight. But now both worlds are under threat, and Lily and Regan must race to find the girls, and save their divided city.

"Look around you. Nothing is what it seems. This is the City of Halves."

City of Halves is a book that's been on my radar for a while and after hearing that the author was going to be at YALC this year I thought it was the perfect time to finally read it. It has been dubbed as the perfect book for fans of The Mortal Instruments and I don't really agree with that label. The only similarity between that series and this book is that they are both in the Urban Fantasy genre.

City of Halves was a slow start for me. For the first 150 pages I wasn't really sure whether I liked it or not... but I must have liked something about it as I did keep reading and usually I DNF if I don't like it at around page 100. After the first 150 pages I really started to get into it. It has such an intriguing storyline and it definitely had me dying to see what was going to happen. It was mysterious and exciting.

The romance in this book was a little far-fetched for my liking at first. We seemed to have gone from the characters having no spark between them to them suddenly being together. It wasn't insta-love or anything like that it was just... far-fetched. But saying that the more I read the more I started to love the characters and I was certainly rooting for them.

I felt the emotion lacked a little bit but overall I really enjoyed this book. I'm hoping that Lucy plans to write a sequel as I have so many questions and I'm dying to find out what happens next to all of the characters. I really enjoyed it and would urge people to pick this one up and give it a go. It may just surprise you.

"And then there was you. And now you're all I see."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment