Thursday, August 6

Review: Mortal Enchantment (Mortal Enchantment #1)

Mortal Enchantment (Mortal Enchantment #1)
Stacey O'Neale

Published By: Phoenix Reign Publishing
Publication Date: May 20, 2014
Date Read: May 22, 2015
Genre: YA - Mythology
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 230
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
In Kalin Matthew's world, elementals control the forces of nature. They are divided into four courts: air, woodland, fire, and water. At sixteen she will leave the life she's built with her mortal mother. Kalin will move to Avalon to rule with her father—the elemental king of the air court. Along the way, she's attacked by a fire court assassin and saved by Rowan, a swoon-worthy elemental with a questionable past.

Worst of all, she learns her father is missing.

To rescue him, Kalin will have to work with a judgmental council and a system of courts too busy accusing each other of deceit to actually be able to help her. But, they aren’t her biggest challenge. With the Midwinter’s Ball only five days away, Kalin must take over her father’s duties, which includes shifting control of the elements—power Kalin has yet to realize.

As Rowan attempts to train her, a war looms between the four courts. If Kalin fails, her father will die and the courts will fall, but the betrayal she’s about to uncover may cost her even more...

"Simmer down, Jelly Bean."

After finishing the prequel, The Shadow Prince, I couldn't wait to start Mortal Enchantment. After the ending of the prequel I was dying to find out what was going to happen next. Mortal Enchantment was everything that I could have wanted and more. It was absolutely amazing.

When I first started this book there was a part of me that was a little bit upset that it was no longer from Rowan's point of view. One of the things that I loved the most about The Shadow Prince was that we were inside Rowan's head and I just fell more and more in love with him the more I read, so to find that Mortal Enchantment was no longer Rowan's perspective of things made me incredibly sad. But saying that the more I read of Kalin's point of view the more I loved her. She is a fantastic narrator and protagonist and I understand completely why Mortal Enchantment needed to be from her point of view. Following the story through Kalin's eyes takes us not only on a journey through this magical land of the Elementals but also a journey of self-discovery. At the start of this book Kalin is not your typical YA heroine. So many lead females in YA fiction now are kick-ass and fierce and Kalin isn't like that to start and I really loved that. It was refreshing to see a vulnerable heroine and it gave us the time to see her grow and develop throughout the book and by the end we started to see the start of this kick-ass, fierce heroine that I have no doubt she will be in future books of the series.

I adored Mortal Enchantment. It was without a doubt the perfect book for me. I am such a plot-driven reader and if there's no storyline that is happening then I get extremely bored. Mortal Enchantment was filled to the brim with adventure, intrigue and a good dose of sexual tension (helllllooooo Rowan *swoon*). For the majority of this book I was sat on the edge of my seat not able to flip the pages fast enough for need to find out what was going to happen in this breathtaking world and to these characters that have become my friends. I couldn't believe the happenings that went on in this book and I am now left reeling dying to get my hands on the next book.

For any fans of fantasy, mythology and romance with a dash of paranormal this is definitely the series for you. I urge you to go and pick this series up. I would definitely recommend reading the prequel first as you just have so much more information and insight into this world through starting with that. I am so glad I started with that first. This book will take you away on a magical journey, take your breath away and steal your heart. It is most definitely a must-read. I adored every moment of it.

"I gotta say, I was really feeling the robe, but there's something about a girl in cartoon pajamas that does it for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment