Saturday, August 29

Early Non-Review: A Whole New World (Twisted Tales #1)

A Whole New World (Twisted Tales #1)
Liz Braswell

Published By: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Date Read: August 3, 2015
Genre: YA - Fairytale Retelling
Source: eARC from Netgalley
Format: E-Book
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways. Each book asks the question: What if one key moment from a familiar Disney film was changed? This dark and daring version of Aladdin twists the original story with the question: What if Jafar was the first one to summon the Genie?

When Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp, he uses his first two wishes to become sultan and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. Agrabah lives in fear, waiting for his third and final wish.To stop the power-mad ruler, Aladdin and the deposed Princess Jasmine must unite the people of Agrabah in rebellion. But soon their fight for freedom threatens to tear the kingdom apart in a costly civil war.

What happens next? A Street Rat becomes a leader. A princess becomes a revolutionary. And readers will never look at the story of Aladdin in the same way again.

A Whole New World was a book that I just couldn't wait to read. The moment I heard about it I thought 'Oh My God, this book is going to be amazing'. As soon as it was available on Netgalley I just had to request it and I was so freaking excited when I got approved. Before I go on to review this book I just have to say that I am the most enormous Disney fan. I own an enormous collection of Disney movies on DVD, I watch them all the time, know every word and even have the soundtracks on my iPod. So this should have been the perfect book for me right? RIGHT... except it wasn't. I was so disappointed in this book and I couldn't even make it all the way through the book.

A Whole New World and this series in general had so much potential. It's such a great idea. I adore fairytale retellings and why wouldn't I love retellings of Disney movies but with a major twist in the storyline. I should have loved it, but I feel like the execution of this book just lacked. The first 20% of this book was a retelling... wait, no that's not right... not a retelling but a novelisation of the beginning of Aladdin. I mean it was completely copied, even right down to the dialogue from the movie. I was so conflicted at this point. I mean a part of me was super excited because I love Aladdin. But soon I thought well if I wanted this I would just watch the movie but I persevered because maybe it would be better when the twist came into play.

The twist was a great idea, it really did make me think of how different the story would have been if Jafar had got the lamp before Aladdin... I mean without Abu's theivery that's technically what was supposed to happen. Even after the twist I felt like I was reading the ending of the movie when Jafar does get his hands on the lamp but too early. It really felt like I was reading a novelisation of the movie but with a big chunk of it missing. At this point I was so disappointed that I just couldn't continue.

A Whole New World should have been amazing and the perfect book for me... but it just wasn't. I feel like it had great potential but this book does not bring anything of value to the storyline of Aladdin. The book made me want to watch Aladdin again but that's just because of the fact that it would be a better use of my time than reading this book. I more than likely will not be picking up the other books in this series. I wanted to like it so much but this book is a miss for me. If you're interested in this book my advice to you would be not to bother and just go watch Aladdin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment