Thursday, July 16

Review: Puppet

Puppet
Pauline C. Harris

Published By: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: October 24, 2014
Date Read: April 8, 2015
Genre: YA - Fairytale Retelling
Source: eARC from Netgalley / Patchwork Press
Format: E-Book
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Penelope never dreamed she’d become a superhuman experiment masquerading as a puppet.
She never dreamed everything would be taken from her; even her ability to lie.
Nor did she ever dream that she would become something so unreal.

Penelope lives in a world of advanced technology. Marionettes have advanced in the form of robots; lifelike creations remote controlled to perform super human tasks.
When Penelope makes a deal with Jed, a marionette-obsessed scientist, she doesn’t fully realize what she’s getting herself into. In order for Jed to take her away from the orphanage she lives in, she must first agree to undergo his experiments and tests, ultimately creating something no one ever dreamed possible; the first living marionette.
As Jed shows off his scientific creation to the world, concerns arise surrounding Penelope’s abilities and what she’s capable of doing. Ordered to somehow lessen her abilities, Jed makes a desperate attempt to change Penelope to make her more human, more vulnerable. After Penelope lies to the officials about her past, Jed makes sure it’s the last one she’ll ever utter. The truth is now the only thing she is capable of telling.
As Penelope struggles with her past, her disturbingly new present, and her uncertain future, she is thrust into a magically twisted world of mayhem in search of the one thing she wants, but knows she can never have. The chance to be just a girl again. To be normal. To be real.

Puppet was one of those books that I had never heard of before being asked to review it and I thought it sounded to interesting. I am a huge fan of fairytale retellings. I love fairytales and I love seeing them told in a new more modern or fantastical way and when I saw this was a retelling of Pinocchio I instantly wanted to read it. I have read so many retellings and not once had I come across one of Pinocchio and I remember thinking that'll be so interesting and different and unique. And yes, it was all of those things but it was also one thing that I never even imagined it would be: Disappointing.

I'm so sad to say it but I was so disappointed with this book. Incredibly so. I wanted to enjoy it and love it so much. I started off liking the book and thinking ohh this is different and the more than I read the more that I just thought there was something lacking. The key thing when telling fairytales, whether original or a retelling there needs to be some sort of magical feeling. It doesn't need to have fairies in it or magic but they have that magical feeling or that spark. Puppet completely lacked that. I remember just feeling a bit 'meh' about it and the more I read thinking it'll get better, the more I just started getting bored. I would put this book down for days at a time and have absolutely no motivation to read it. And I hate that feeling.

Puppet will be loved by many I am sure but this was just not the book for me. I was bored and disappointed and for me, this was a miss. I couldn't recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment