Thursday, July 9

Review: Gone (Gone #1)

Gone (Gone #1)
Michael Grant

Published By: Egmont
Publication Date: September 1, 2009
Date Read: April 2, 2015
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 560
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
The first in New York Times bestselling author Michael Grant's breathtaking dystopian, sci-fi saga, Gone is a page-turning thriller that invokes the classic The Lord of the Flies along with the horror of Stephen King.

In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.

There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

"Let me guess: you're secretly a wizard who was raised by muggles."

Gone is one of those books that I am just so incredibly torn about. I wanted to love this book so much. It sounded like something I would adore and don't get me wrong I liked this book I did... I just didn't love it. I've been going back and forth since I read it 3 months ago as to what to rate this book... yeah it's one of those books. I liked it but I didn't all at the same time.

Gone had such a fantastic premise, all the adults are gone. At the age of 15 *poof* they vanish. I thought this sounded like one of my favourite TV shows in the 90s that I loved as a kid and while reading it did have the feel of that show and I think that's why I liked it. But the more I read the more I felt like the author had got some of his ideas from other books/movies/franchises. Let me explain...

First of all let me tell you a little bit more about Gone:
 Suddenly all of the adults of the world are gone... as in *poof* vanished in thin air. As soon as you hit the age of 15 you disappear. Soon after this main character reveals that he has supernatural powers that he cannot explain. A little but later they find that they cannot leave the town as there is an invisible barrier around the town securing them all inside.

Now let me tell you a bit more about these other works...

90s UK/Aus/NZ TV show The Tribe: A deadly virus wipes out all of the adults and leaves the kids to fend for themselves and they end up forming tribes (hence the name) in order to survive and there's competition and agression between the different tribes.
Stephen King Book and TV Show Under The Dome: Everybody is stuck in the town as there is an invisible 'dome' around the town shutting them in.
Marvel Franchise X-Men: Mutants who have super powers.

Sound familiar???

Now I am not saying that he has copied not at all. I'm just saying that when reading I just could not help but compare it to these. I mean this storyline I really liked. I thought it was original and exciting and I could never guess what was going to happen next. My issue was that the story just got stranger and stranger the more than I read. I imagine some of this story being like what it would be like to be taking drugs. I was just a bit like WTF?

The main thing with Gone is that I thought the first half of the book was awesome. I really enjoyed it and as I was reading I could see the things coming together ready for the big finale of the book and then I realised that I was barely half way through the book. I felt the second half was drawn out and way longer than it needed to be. I started getting very very bored and I really struggled to get through it which was such a shame as I absolutely loved the first half.

I will definitely go on to read the next book in the series but I was just so bored through the second half I definitely cannot go straight into it. I need a break and I am hoping and preying that the second book blows me away. I have so many friends who adore this book series and I want to be one of them... so badly. I am hoping Hunger with make me a bigger fan of this series.

"He found a set of encyclopedias - like Wikipedia but paper and very bulky."
"It was exactly like following hyperlinks, only slower, and with more lifting."


1 comments:

  1. Heather@NightlyReading10 July 2015 at 00:26

    Hey Kay! I agree! I wanted so bad to enjoy this book since it was so hyped up and EVERYONE loved it! I did not even finish it:( I absolutely got bored with it!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment