Thursday, July 30

Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1)

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1)
Kady Cross

Published By: Mira Ink
Publication Date: May 24, 2011
Date Read: May 10, 2015
Genre: YA - Steampunk
Source: Review Copy from Mira Ink
Format: Paperback
Pages: 473
  photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one... except the "thing" inside her.

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch...

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.

Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.

But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on even if it seems no one believes her.

"Don't cry, Treasure. You'll get me all wet and then I'll melt. I'm made of sugar, don't you know."

The Girl in the Steel Corset, the first book in the Steampunk Chronicles, was a great start to what I'm hoping will be a fantastic series. I really enjoyed it and loved that it was packed full of magic, intrigue with a dash of romance. I'm really looking forward to what will happen next.

I am really happy that I read the prequel novella to this series before starting The Girl in the Steel Corset as I feel that this book was really very slow to start with. It took quite a while to get into the story and if it wasn't for the fact that I had read the prequel and already really loved the characters and the world I probably would have DNF'd it as the beginning of this book was so very slow. However I am so glad that I stuck with it because by the time you get about half way through, the story is absolutely phenomenal.

I absolutely loved all of the characters in this book, from Finley who I already loved to Griff, Sam and Emily to Jack. They are all such interesting and unique characters and they really gripped me and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen to all of them.

All in all I really enjoyed The Girl in the Steel Corset and I am really looking forward to continuing the series and finding out what will happen next. If you like series that are filled with mystery, intrigue and magic then this is definitely the series for you.

"I cannot tell my heart what to feel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment