Tuesday, July 28

Early Review: Am I Normal Yet? (Normal #1)

Am I Normal Yet? (Normal #1)
Holly Bourne

Published By: Usborne Publishing
Publication Date: August 1, 2015
Date Read: July 24, 2015
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 434
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
All Evie wants is to be normal. She’s almost off her meds and at a new college where no one knows her as the girl-who-went-crazy. She’s even going to parties and making friends. There’s only one thing left to tick off her list…

But relationships are messy – especially relationships with teenage guys. They can make any girl feel like they’re going mad. And if Evie can’t even tell her new friends Amber and Lottie the truth about herself, how will she cope when she falls in love?

"There is no normal. There's only what's normal to you."

Am I Normal Yet? is one of the books that I was looking forward to most this year. I'm already a big Holly Bourne fan and when I heard about this one I couldn't wait for it and I am so excited that this is the first in a series. I have been a huge fan of Holly Bourne's books ever since I read her debut novel Soulmates. Even though I have read and loved all of her books Soulmates has always remained my favourite. It had made me fall in love and it had broken my heart all at the same time and it was the book that made me love Holly. I can no longer say that Soulmates is my favourite Holly Bourne book. Am I Normal Yet? is one of the most touching and meaningful books I've ever read and it completely blew me away.

Evie suffers from a very severe case of OCD and we join her story while she is in recovery. This instantly made me love this book. I am a big fan of books that touch on mental illnesses but I can often get irritated by them if they are just the very stereotypical 'public views' on them. This was not the case with Am I Normal Yet? whatsoever. Although we do have the stereotypical symptom of OCD (the hand washing) but it's put forward in such a severe case that it really documents a true-life depiction of what it is like living with OCD. We live in a time when people say OCD like it's a quirk. I myself sometimes do this too. I often say I'm so OCD with my book collection and this book really showed me that we shouldn't say things like that. It's not a quirk it's a very serious condition.  I absolutely loved Evie and my heart just broke for her throughout this book especially as we started to see her starting on a slow downward spiral in her recovery.

Am I Normal Yet? is a touching and beautiful story of friendship, love, mental health and feminism. I loved every moment of it and this truly showed the extent of Holly's phenomenal writing skills. She tackled this incredibly hard illness with such dignity and respect. This book made me laugh and cry and I loved every moment of it. It is without a doubt one of the best books I have read this year, if not ever! I cannot wait for the next book in the series. It cannot arrive in my hands soon enough!

"You've got to love you before worrying about anyone else loving you."



WIN A COPY OF AM I NORMAL YET?

I am giving away a copy of Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne to one lucky follower. It is international and will be ordered from The Book Depository so please check that they deliver to your country before entering. The giveaway will close on Sunday 2nd August.

Enter below and remember not to be so obsessed with normal!

"You're so obsessed with being normal, but that's well boring and you're extraordinary Evie."

a Rafflecopter giveaway





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment