Friday, April 24

Review: Fairest (Lunar Chronicles #3.5)

Fairest (Lunar Chronicles #3.5)
Marissa Meyer

Published By: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: January 27, 2015
Date Read: March 22, 2015
Genre: YA - Sci-Fi/Fairytale Retelling
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 222
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.


From Goodreads:
Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.

"But no. She didn't want to be Channary. She didn't want her beauty, not if it came with her cruelty and selfishness as well."

I fell head over heels in love with this series late last year when I listened to the audio edition of Cinder. This book that I thought would just be like any other fairytale retelling but boy was I wrong. I had soon devoured the other 2 in the series and I am dying to read Winter, the conclusion of the series. Saying that initially I was unsure if I wanted to read Fairest. A book that wasn't necessary for the series and that centered on the series villian Queen Levana. Before reading this book I hated Queen Levana... with a passion. But I just could not resist Marissa Meyer's writing and really I was curious as to what made Levana so evil.

I am so freaking glad I read Fairest. It was so great. I ended up really enjoying it and I really enjoyed being in Levana's head... even as twisted and cruel as it is. Levana was the second in line for the throne and when her sister Channary becomes Queen after the untimely death of her parents Levana can't help but hate that all her sister seems to care about it wooing and bedding the majority of the court. Why couldn't she care about the future of their planet? As Channary is a bully and a flirt Levana can't help but feel like she should be queen instead.

Throughout this book I really started to feel sorry for Levana. She had such a horrible childhood, from being the ignored child to being the victim of cruel bullying from her older sister. Although I felt for her she still had this cruelness underneath it all. From the thoughts of getting rid of her crush's wife after learning of his love for her to her more awful things portrayed in the Lunar Chronicles. I really liked getting into her head and finding out what makes her tick.

The other thing I loved is seeing all this stuff being put into motion that we see come to frution in the main books. From Levana's cruelness and wanting to connect Lunar and Earth, to finding out who Cinder's parents are to the ride of Letimosis. I loved all of that and so I am so glad I decided to read this.

Fairest was a great addition to the Lunar Chronicles series. As a prequel and as a companion. I really enjoyed getting inside Queen Levana's head and I really hope every fan of this series decide to read this book as it really adds meaning to so many things in the series. As always Marissa Meyer's writing was phenomenal and I really enjoyed reading this one. I cannot wait for October to get here so I can read Winter.

Fairest was awesome and a must-read for any fan of the other books in this series.

"Love is a conquest! Love is war!"

 

2 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment