Tuesday, April 21

Audio Review: Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1)

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1)
Sara Raasch

Published By: Balzar and Bray
Publication Date: October 14, 2014
Date Read: March 19, 2015
Genre: YA - High Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Audiobook
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

"That, I think, is a truer mark of belonging somewhere - being willing to do anything, everything, that needs to be done, regardless of what I want."

Snow Like Ashes was one of those books that I had had on my kindle from the day of release but I just never got round to reading it. God Why the hell did I not read it straight away? I absolutely adored this book. High Fantasy never used to be a genre that I enjoyed it was just ok for me until a year or two ago when I was asked to review this little book that was coming out called Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. It blew me away and I have been a huge fan of High Fantasy ever since. Since that day I have been searching high and low for a YA High Fantasy book that blew me away and knocked my socks off just as much as Throne of Glass did and I have never been successful in finding it... Until NOW! Snow Like Ashes blew me away, took my breath away and left me reeling. I cannot believe how amazing and phenomenal is and I just can't stop gushing... Obviously I mean look how much I've wrote and this is only the first paragraph.

Meira is one of Winter's refugees. The only ones left. Ever since Spring conquered Winter the Winterians have been on the run. Most enslaved by Spring but some refugees working to claim Winter once again. Meira has always wanted to be a warrior for Winter. She has been training since a young child and she knows she is ready. But when successfully completing her first mission doesn't get the response she was hoping for Meira is thrown into a unknown world and faced with having to do things she never would have dreamed. Can Meira take claim of her own actions and destiny? Or is destiny already running things for her?

I love, love, love this book so freaking much. It had absolutely everything that I could have ever wanted. It was action-packed with scenes that had me on the edge of my seat not able to turn the pages fast enough and romance that completely and utterly melted my heart. I loved it. Meira was such an amazing heroine. She is fiesty and fierce and will do anything to bring back Winter. When faced with the impossible and things she doesn't want to do she still does what's best for their mission and aim. I completely sympathise with her and I just loved her.

Snow Like Ashes had a love triangle unlike any other love triangles I have come across. It did not dominate the entire storyline. The love triangle was more in the back ground that just complimented the story rather than taking control of the story. This was so well done in my opinion. I love romance in books as much as any other YA reader but the best ones are always the ones that take the back-seat to the story in my opinion. Also I loved both guys. And that NEVER happens. Mather was the one that at the beginning of the book I completely believed I would be shipping. But the more and more I read the more I fell in love with Theron. Theron is sweet, beautiful and caring and I just adore him so much. Even though I love them both I am definitely Team Theron. He's just so wonderful.

Snow Like Ashes was everything I could have hoped for and more. I loved every moment of it and it completely left me reeling for the next book in the series. Sara is such a phenomenal storyteller that a part of me cannot believe that this is her debut novel. It has everything I could have wanted in it and more. Ice Like Fire cannot get here fast enough. I need it and I have definitely got a new favourite YA High Fantasy novel. I cannot recommend this book enough.

"No matter what happens, no matter who turns on me, no matter what pompous swine thinks he has power over me, I am still me. I will always be me."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like an amazing book! Need to get my hands on it now. I might also get it as an audio, I need a new talking book atm. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks to admin who has been providing the latest information that makes us be increased insight and new knowledge that is wide enough, of course, this makes us become more knowledgeable
    obat tradisional abses kulit
    suplemen alami penambah nafsu makan anak
    obat gondok beracun tradisional
    obat tradisional kanker kolorektal
    cara menyembuhkan tbc kelenjar

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment