Friday, November 7

Review: Pretty Amy (Pretty Amy #1)

Pretty Amy (Pretty Amy #1)
Lisa Burstein

Published By: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Date Read: October 29, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Amy is fine living in the shadows of beautiful Lila and uber-cool Cassie, because at least she’s somewhat beautiful and uber-cool by association. But when the girls get stood up for prom and take matters into their own hands—earning them a night in jail outfitted in satin, stilettos, and Spanx — Amy discovers even a prom spent in handcuffs might be better than the humiliating “rehabilitation techniques” now filling up her summer. Even worse, with Lila and Cassie parentally banned, Amy feels like she has nothing — like she is nothing.

Navigating unlikely alliances with her new coworker, two very different boys, and possibly even her parents, Amy struggles to decide if it’s worth being a best friend when it makes you a public enemy. Bringing readers along on an often hilarious and heartwarming journey, Amy finds that maybe getting a life only happens once you think your life is over.

Pretty Amy is one of those books that has been sat on my shelf for forever and I just never got around to starting it. This one has been on my radar since before the release as I've been working closely with Entangled Teen since they started. I am so glad I finally ended up reading this one as I really enjoyed it.

Amy is preparing for the best night of her life. Prom. Armed with her best friends and the dates that her best friend has arranged what could possibly go wrong? But when the dates stand them up and the girls take matters into their own hands their perfect night ends up with them behind bars. Faced with a summer of boring tasks to prove how good she is and away from her best friends Amy has to face the question of who she really is... and does she have a future to make up for her mistakes or will she end up behind bars permanently?

I had a little bit of trouble with Pretty Amy in the start of the book. I really didn't like her as a character. I felt like she was selfish and just a downright horrible person. I always have a lot of trouble finishing books when I don't like the characters but after a trusted friend told me that she would grow on me I continued and it was true. She did. I didn't understand her loyalty to Lila and Cassie. I don't know whether it is because we don't really see much of their friendship before they are seperated but the parts we do see of them they just aren't very nice people and I didn't get why she wanted to protect them so much. By the end of the book I really liked Amy. She really grows throughout the book and I loved that.

Pretty Amy was nothing like what I expected. I really expected a light and funny contemporary novel when in fact it was quite dark and deep. I loved it. I was soon taken up in the storyline and it made me not mind Amy's flaws quite so much. Lisa Burstein has a great narration style. It makes reading her books so easy and you are easily taken away by the story. I really ended up loving this book and it made me want to continue with the story straight away.

Pretty Amy is a great YA Contemporary novel and I would recommend it to any fan of YA Contemporaries. It's a dark and deep novel with lots of drama. I loved every moment of it and though I didn't connect with the characters straight away they definitely grow on you. A great debut.


1 comments:

  1. Pretty Amy sounds so interesting. Definitely no one liked selfish people so its great to see Amy grows up through the process. I wanna check it out so bad. Great Review Kayleigh.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment