Saturday, October 11

Review: Model Misfit (Geek Girl #2)

Model Misfit (Geek Girl #2)
Holly Smale

Published By: Harper Collins Childrens
Publication Date: September 26, 2013
Date Read: July 31, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 356
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
“My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”

Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.

What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.

With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.

Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.

Can geek girl find her place on the other side of the world or is Harriet lost for good?
"That's the truth about people with obsessively organised plans: we're not trying to control everything in our lives. We're trying to block out the things we can't."

Harriet Manners is back. Supermodel... and total Geek. I couldn't be more excited to dive into the second installment of Holly Smale's incredibly addictive Geek Girl series. I absolutely adored the first installment of this series and I couldn't wait to get my hands on Book 2. Model Misfit did not disappoint whatsoever. It carried on the awkwardness, the humour and the romance that book 1 had.

Harriet is one of those characters that you just cannot help but adore. She is funny, spunky and smart. She reminds myself so much of me when I was younger because I would just randomly come out with facts I found interesting and have people look at me like I was an alien or something. That is exactly how Harriet is and I think it's why people love her so much. She is so much more endearing than other heroines in YA novels. We always have the very beautiful and attractive girls who are so 'amazing' that they are always stuck in between two guys. Harriet isn't like that and I think that's why we love her. She isn't the most beautiful girl. She is awkward and geeky but we still see the beauty in the way of being different and I love that.

Holly Smale is fast becoming one of my all time favourite author crushes. I just love the way she writes. I find it so different and refreshing from other YA novels. She really captures the voice of 14/15 year olds and it makes the book so authentic. It doesn't read like an adult talking through a teenager as some YA books can sound but it's as if this 14/15 year old girl is actually talking to you and I think that's what makes this series so wonderful. Holly Smale knows her characters and she brings them to life and that shows the true talent of an author. I adore her and even after this series is over I will read anything and everything Holly Smale puts out as I just adore her.

Model Misfit was the perfect sequel to Geek Girl. It kept true to everything Harriet is and was in the first book. She is still our lovable geek living in the dream modelling world. We get to meet some new characters that I loved learning about and we got to meet our favourites *cough* Wilbur *cough* He is just pure awesomeness. I loved every moment of this book and I cannot wait until I can get my hands on the third book of the Geek Girl series. This series is definitely a must-read. I loved every moment of it.

"I suddenly realise that it doesn't matter how far I go, or how lost I am, or how lonely I feel. I fit in here. I always will.
That's how I know I'm home."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment