Saturday, October 4

Review: The Manifesto on How To Be Interesting

The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting
Holly Bourne

Published By: Usbourne Publishing
Publication Date: August 1, 2014
Date Read: July 25, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 464
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22533460-the-manifesto-on-how-to-be-interesting
From Goodreads:
Apparently I'm boring. A nobody. But that's all about to change. Because I am starting a project. Here. Now. For myself. And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome.

Bree is a loser, a wannabe author who hides behind words. Most of the time she hates her life, her school, her never-there parents. So she writes.

But when she’s told she needs to start living a life worth writing about, The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting is born. Six steps on how to be interesting. Six steps that will see her infiltrate the popular set, fall in love with someone forbidden and make the biggest mistake of her life.

From the bestselling author of Soulmates comes a fearlessly frank take on school, cliques and crushes

After completely devouring Holly Bourne's absolutely stunning and magical debut novel, Soulmates, I couldn't wait to get my hands on her next book. When I heard The Manifesto was going to be on sale early at YALC I could barely contain my excitement. I could finally get my hands on another Holly Bourne book. The Manifesto on How to be Interesting gave me everything I could possibly have ever wanted in a Holly Bourne book. It was absolutely amazing.

Bree has never been popular. She really only has one friend and she has always been fine with that. She would rather work on her dreams to become an author anyway. But when she is told that she needs to start living a life worth writing about she comes up with 6 steps that will make her interesting. Make her popular. Make her something worth reading. But as her life starts to crumble around her Bree discovers popularity and being interesting isn't everything. But she is determined to see the Manifesto through... even if the consequences may mean her life will never be the same.

Once again I was totally enamored with Holly Bourne's utterly fantastic writing style. She is such a talented author that really grabs you right from the start and makes her books so addictive you can't put it down without devouring the entire thing. Her world-building and characterisations are absolutely flawlessly perfect that you can't help but adore her novels. She is fast becoming one of my favourite authors of all time and now I don't even need to know what the book is about if Holly has wrote it I am reading it.

Bree is typically a character that readers, including myself, could easily find really irritating. She starts changing everything about herself because of something one person said and when everything starts falling apart she ignores the advice given to her by the people who have always been there for her the most. Usually I would find this absolutely irritating but with Bree I just found it fascinating. I felt that she wasn't changing herself purely because of the comment because she wanted to test her writing skills and I was so addicted by this storyline I really wanted to know what was going to happen and I ended up really sympathising with her.

One thing Holly Bourne is an absolute genius at is bringing on teh feels. I'll be honest... I was absolutely petrified to pick up this book. I absolutely adore Holly's novels and I was dying to read it but after the emotional truama Soulmates had inflicted on me and I wasn't entirely sure that I was ready for another heartbreak. The Manifesto is no where near as bad, feels wise, as Soulmates. It still brings the feels... a lot. There were moments where I was really filling up with tears but I felt like there wasn't the absolute soul-crushing heartbreak that Soulmates had.

The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting was absolutely phenomenal. Holly Bourne smashed it again and gave us this fantastic book filled with humour, heartbreak, romance and a roller-coaster of teenage angst. This is really THE teen book that you have to read this year. It's raw, beautiful and moving. A definite must-read. I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next, no matter what it is I am hanging onto my seat in anticipation of the next Holly Bourne novel.

"It's cool to blog now, Bree. Bloggers are taking over the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment