Tuesday, October 21

Review: Lobsters

Lobsters
Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison

Published By: Chicken House
Publication Date: June 5, 2014
Date Read: September 27, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.

I've been trying to read a lot more UKYA books lately, after not only discovering that the majority of YA novels I read are from American authors but also after attending YALC and being inspired by UKYA authors and readers alike. Lobsters was one book that kept cropping up every time I was looking for a UKYA Contemporary novel to read. Everyone seems to absolutely adore this book. I heard it was funny, cute, romantic and awkward. The four things I love in romance books. It sounded absolutely perfect for me. Unfortunately this one just fell a little bit flat for me.

Sam and Hannah are off on the summer of a lifetime. After a number of awkward encounters together they are determined to set off for the summer to find "The One" and love their virginity. But when Sam and Hannah are thrown back together they discover that the other one may just be their "lobster"

Lobsters seemed like the perfect book for me but I was actually pretty disappinted. I love YA contemporary novels and I love a whole lot of awkward but this one was just a bit too awkward for me. I think this book does have moments when it is hilarious. There were a few times when I couldn't help but laugh out loud. However I was so disappointed. I didn't like the characters all that much and if you know me you should know that if I don't like the characters me and the book just don't get on. I found Sam cute but a bit bland and Hannah was just really annoying. I couldn't stand her.

This book definitely does what it says on the label. It gives you a "socially awkward love story" however I'm afraid I just found it a bit too awkward. It was so awkward that it just didn't feel real. It felt a bit fake and at time so stupid I wanted to hit my head off the desk. I really wasn't a fan of this one *sad face*


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment