Tuesday, October 7

Review: Apple and Rain

Apple and Rain
Sarah Crossan

Published By: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: August 14, 2014
Date Read: July 27, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 330

From Goodreads:
When Apple's mother returns after eleven years away, Apple feels whole again. But just like the stormy Christmas Eve when she left, her mother's homecoming is bittersweet. It's only when Apple meets someone more lost than she is that she begins to see things as they really are.

A story about sad endings.
A story about happy beginnings.
A story to make you realise who is special.

Sarah Crossan was one of the authors I was most excited to see at YALC. I absolutely adored her YA dystopia Breathe series. When I saw that her newest book was on sale early I just had to snap it up. It sounded so awesome and I couldn't wait to start it once I got home. I wasn't wrong. Apple and Rain was completely different to what I expected but it was wonderful and moving.

Sarah Crossan once again wove her characters lives perfectly. This was the first contemporary novel I have read from her, only having read her dystopia novels previously and so it was very different from what I thought it would be but I absolutely loved it. Her fantastic narration hooked me right away and I ended up devouring the book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down.

Apple and Rain was totally different to what I expected. I thought it was going to be a YA novel filled with romance but it was completely different. I feel like Apple and Rain is geared towards more of a younger audience than her Breathe series. Maybe a Middle-Grade audience would be more appropriate. Either way this is a book that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It's very much more orientated about family connections and growing as a family and overcoming the problems. I loved that about it.

Apple and Rain is a wonderful, moving and uplifting story that I think everybody would love no matter what genre or age range you typically read. I would recommend it to everyone and I will definitely be looking out for more of Sarah Crossan's contemporary novels.


1 comments:

  1. I llove the cover and the title and the blurb. This sounds like such a great book that I would enjoy. Though I thought this book was YA, since I don't read MG much. GREAT review though

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment