Thursday, August 7

Review: Henry VI Part 1

Henry VI Part 1
William Shakespeare

Published By: Penguin Classics
Publication Date: 1594
Date Read: July 17, 2014
Genre: Classics
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 123
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
I feel that I have spent half my career with one or another Pelican Shakespeare in my back pocket. Convenience, however, is the least important aspect of the new Pelican Shakespeare series. Here is an elegant and clear text for either the study or the rehearsal room, notes where you need them and the distinguished scholarship of the general editors, Stephen Orgel and A. R. Braunmuller who understand that these are plays for performance as well as great texts for contemplation." (Patrick Stewart) The distinguished Pelican Shakespeare series, which has sold more than four million copies, is now completely revised and repackaged.

Having been an enormous Shakespeare fan for years I decided to start and tackle the plays that I have not yet read. When I started the #Chapter5Summer challenge this summer I decided to include this Shakespeare play as my challenge book for "The Classic".

This was the first of Shakespeare's Histories that I have tried. I am an enormous fan of Shakespeare and I have read and re-read so many of his works from The Tragedies and The Comedies so I was really looking forward to tackling The Histories. Unfortunately this one was a miss for me. It didn't grab my attention. The dialogue and the characters bored me and it made reading this play laborious. When others have called Shakespeare laborious and boring I never, ever understood why. I loved Shakespeare. I have no problem with the writing. I know it is in Olde English but I have no problem understanding it. With the first part of Henry VI I started to see their point of view. This was so boring and loborious and I didn't enjoy it at all.

I still adore Shakespeare but I think from now on I will be skipping over The Histories and heading straight for The Tragedies and The Comedies as those are the Shakespearean works that I love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment