Tuesday, July 15

Review: Stolen

Stolen
Lucy Christopher

Published By: Chicken House
Publication Date: May 4, 2009
Date Read: June 28, 2014
Genre: YA - Thriller
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 301
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

This book is one that has been on my radar for a while and after hearing so many amazing things about it I finally decided to pick it up. I really, really wanted to like this book. It sounded so gripping and raw and I really thought for me, a Psychology graduate, it would be the perfect book. Unfortunately I was really disappointed.

Gemma is sixteen years old when she is taken from Bangkok airport and taken to the outbacks fo Australia. With no towns and no people she is stuck with Ty. The unstable guy who has taken her. Claiming that he is in love with her and they are meant to be Gemma and Ty embark on a disturbing and emotional journey. Can Gemma be rescued or is she destined to be with Ty forever?

I genuinelly thought this was going to be a great book and one great thing about it is Lucy Christopher's fantastic writing style. She really captured the voice of Gemma fantastically. It sounded exactly as a teenager would sound and you really feel the writing change as Gemma changed throughout the book. When she is panicked and trying to escape the sentences grow longer, and more rant-like as if she is out of breath. I think that is absolutely fantastic!

Right from reading the blurb I immediately knew this was going to be a case of Stockholm Syndrome. Right from the start I knew that Gemma was going to develop this and from reading other people's reviews then I thought maybe I would start to warm to Ty to. I didn't. He is genuinelly just a freaking psychopath. As you read more you realise that he has been following and spying on Gemma since she was about 9/10 years old... erm what the hell? As I read more I saw a mental disorder nobody else had mentioned and one not a lot of people have heard of. I think that Ty has St Clerembault's Disorder, or more commonly known Erotomania. If you haven't heard of this disorder this is a case where somebody believed that they are in love with someone and that they love them back. It can be a case where someone has done something kind to them and they take it as an act of love and believe they are meant to be together. This is often a disorder than a lot of stalkers have. Ty shows all of the symptoms of St Clerembault's Disorder so I truly thing that he does have a case of this.

I will admit that this is a thriller book and I am really not a fan of thrillers. I was grabbed at the beginning because of the hint of mental illness but as I got about 70+ pages into it my interest waned and I was just bored. I didn't enjoy it and I really felt like it was a glorification of a horrific crime. The only reason I continued was I wanted to see how it ended, did Gemma get rescued? and I did like the mental illness inflections of the book. I don't think I will be picking anything up by this author again. I wasn't a fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment