Friday, July 25

Non-Review: The Knife of Never Little Go (Chaos Walking #1)

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)
Patrick Ness

Published By: Walker Books
Publication Date: October 22, 2008
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 479
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

Having read and loved the prequel novella of this series, The New World, I couldn't wait to start on the first book of the series, The Knife of Never Letting Go. I had to start it immediately and as a humongous fan of YA Dystopia novels I really had high expectations for this book and series. I don't know whether it was my expectations being too high or what but I was quite disappointed with this book.

I started loving this book. It was a new and unique dystopic storyline and I loved the idea that the town could hear people talk and that animals could also talk. It was great and for the first 100 pages or so I really enjoyed it. One thing that you cannot deny is that Patrick Ness is a fantastic author and he really gets in touch with his characters and his narration is perfect for the character. Todd's narration was great and it was wrote as it would be said/pronounced. I think that was so clever and I really enjoyed that.

As I read more and more I was just losing interest and my attention was waning. By the time I got to page 150 I was pretty bored and found that while I read instead of getting more attached to the characters I wasn't. I was going the other way. I was losing interest in the characters and found that I didn't really care what happened to them, not enough to get through the other 200+ pages of this book, let alone another two. The writing and characters wasn't grabbing me anymore and all I thought about was reading a different book.

I'm really sad I didn't enjoy this book enough to continue with it. I really wanted to like it and there is no doubt about it that Patrick is a very talented author. I came to the conclusion that this series just wasn't for me. I will most definitely be trying Patrick Ness' other novels but this one just wasn't for me. Well, we can't like them all can we?

Did Not Finish
Abandoned at page 220


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment