Friday, July 4

Early Review: The Return (Titan #1)

The Return (Titan #1)
Jennifer L Armentrout

Published By: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: February 2015
Date Read: June 26, 2014
Genre: NA - Paranormal / Mythology
Source: ARC from Spencer Hill Press
Format: Paperback
Pages: 335
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
It’s been a year since Seth made the deal with the gods that pledged his life to them. And so far, the jobs they’ve given him have been violent and bloody – which is kind of all right with him. But now Apollo has something else in mind for Seth. He’s got to play protector while keeping his hands and fingers off, and for someone who really has a problem with restraint, this new assignment might be the most challenging yet.

Josie has no idea what this crazy hot guy’s deal might be, but it’s a good bet that his arrival means the new life she started after leaving home is about to be thrown into an Olympian-sized blender turned up to “puree”. Either Josie is going insane or a nightmare straight out of an ancient myth is gunning for her.

But it might be the unlikely attraction simmering between her and the golden-eyed, secret-keeping Seth that may prove to be the most dangerous thing of all.

"You're... you're just my salvation."

The Return is the book I was most excited for when I first heard about it. It's no surprise to anybody just how much I adore Jennifer L Armentrout. To me she is the best, most talented author of all time. Her Covenant Series is not only my favourite JLA series, but my favourite series of all time. I was so devastated when The Covenant Series ended, and as much as I disliked Seth while reading the series I was desperately hoping for at least a standalone for Seth. I was grasping at straws for anything related to The Covenant Series that meant I didn't have to truly say goodbye. When I first heard about The Return, Seth's story and not just a standalone but a whole SERIES spin-off of Covenant I was a little bit like this..


I was so beyond excited and then the wonderfully awesome Kate Kaynak sent me this...


... and I was like THIS!






The Return is without a doubt the most phenomenal book I have ever read! It was utterly phenomenal and it has left me completely speechless.

It has been a year since Seth started his journey of redemption. It has been a year of Seth doing whatever the Gods wanted of him, and a year of Seth wondering how long this life will last. When Seth is sent on an important mission by Apollo, Seth is happy to go. Seth was not prepared to be faced with Josie. The beautiful and innocent girl who reminds him a whole lot of the girl he was attached to who chose another. Suddenly Seth and Josie's life are thrown together and Seth not only has to deal with making sure she is safe but also with his ever growing feelings for Josie. Can he let himself get close to Josie without things getting even more dangerous... and without the Gods gunning for him? Or is it better for him to leave her alone? Sometimes our fate isn't quite what we think.

The Return was without a doubt my favourite book of the year so far. Jennifer has once again grabbed me in with her phenomenal writing style. Right from the first page I was hooked. I was dragged back into the beloved world of The Covenant and I was taken on a fast-paced, action-packed journey filled with love, romance, mystery, action and mythological Gods and creatures. This book is jam-packed with twists, turns and surprises. It's so difficult for me not to add spoilers into this review as everything about this book can be a spoiler. Right from the start I was gobsmacked by the twist early on and I was all like "NO FREAKING WAY! OH MY GODS!" Jennifer you are a freaking rockstar!

Okay people, are you ready for my confession?
The impossible has happened! I AM COMPLETELY HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH SETH! It's no surprise to anyone what my feelings were towards Seth throughout The Covenant series. I hated him. And I mean HATED him! I despised him, so much that I really wanted him to die. I thought he was the epitome of evil! As much as I did hate him I did believe he would redeem himself in the end (which he did) but I pretty much enjoyed hating him along the way. In no way did I think I would fall in love with Seth but he is so beautiful and sweet and snarky in this book I just couldn't help it! I fell head over heels in love with him and I couldn't help but want to jump in the book and just hug him. I adore him!

I absolutely loved that The Return is written in dual POV. Not only do we get Josie's POV and get to follow her on her journey through the introduction of this mythological world but we get Seth. And I have to say Seth's POVs were my absolute favourite. I loved getting inside Seth's head. We get to understand more about Seth. His past and how that related to his actions in the Covenant series and then his opinion of himself now. How much he regrets his actions. His still lingering thoughts of Alex and then how he changes by knowing Josie. It was perfect having it split perspective and it made what would be a great book in just Josie's perspective into a phenomenal and incredible book having both. 

Josie is the perfect female protagonist. I adore her. She is so kick-ass but in a very different way than Alex. She is so new to this world and so she can't fight Daimons and she isn't snarky towards the Gods since she didn't even know they existed until 300 or so pages ago but she is kick-ass in a different way. Instead of having her outer 'fighting' strength she has this beautiful inner strength. She is so strong emotionally and I think Josie is just the character that every single girl reading this book can identify with and you go through the journey of discovering this mythological world along with Josie. And it is one hell of a journey. You go through really disliking this snarky "super hot boy" to sympathising with him and eventually falling for him. It was inevitable. Seth is hilarious, sexy, snarky and his lines are packed full of sexual innuendos that had me giggling right the way through the book.  I loved them both!

One thing I adored about The Return is that not only do you see your two main protagonists but we see some familiar characters. Naturally we see the beloved Apollo. He is hilarious, snarky and well... just typical Apollo. We also see my beloved Luke and Deacon. I totally squeed when they turned up and I can really see them becoming a big part of this series. We also FINALLY find out what happened between Deacon and Apollo. I was like AHA so that's what happened! Luke and Deacon an Marcus and Solos were a welcome addition to the series and I loved hearing a little bit about my beloved Aiden and Alex. I loved seeing some of my favourite Covenant characters and I just love their role in this series. It's going to be epic to see what happens with them even more. Oh yes, and prepare for lots more Titans. I loved the Titans. Even though they are the bad guys they add drama, action and intrigue. The Return is basically the most awesome book you will ever read!

The Titan Series, unlike The Covenant Series, is a NA series and it was utterly perfect. There is no way you can censor Seth and I loved that this was NA. It was so perfect to finally see a NA series that isn't contemporary and well... it's sexy, hot and beautifully romantic as well as being completely action-packed. The Titan Series is going to be epic! My new favourite series. I can see it happening.

The Return was just utter perfection. I don't know what I was expecting from a Covenant Spin-off but I never ever thought that I would love it as much as Covenant, let alone love it a little bit more. I was so surprised but at the same time thought, this is Jen of course she surprises me. I don't know what she has done for me but she always, always surprises me and makes me fall head over heels in love and obsession with her characters and books. The Return was no different and is officially my favourite book of the year, and my favourite JLA book. It rivals my love of Aiden and Alex and I cannot wait to see what is going to happen next with the series. The Titan is going to be the next big bestselling, epic series. I loved every single moment of it and I can't wait until February when everyone else can read this epic story of romance, action and redemption.

Utter Perfection!

"... And that was a big difference. Honestly, Alex and I... we had needed each other. We'd never WANTED each other."

4 comments:

  1. AHHH I am so jealous!!! I've been rooting for Seth since the beginning in Covenant Series.......but yeah :((( So thrill that the MC is kickass and not that wimpy. And I like the dual POV, I think that is best to understand both of them! Great review and I am happy for you! So excited to read this <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous, again. SERIOUSLY. I want that book ASAP! I do still need to finish the Covenant series though but your review and all the reviews I've read so far are making me impatient and a bit jelly LOL. Great review Kayleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want this book! it should come out earlier :'( thanks Kayleigh... this review will keep me satisfied for a couple more months at least haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question did the feelings between the two fell to rushed?

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment