Thursday, June 19

Review: The Summer I Became A Nerd

The Summer I Became A Nerd
Leah Rae Miller

Published By: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Date Read: June 2, 2014
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Gifted by Entangled Teen
Format: Paperback
Pages: 267
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.

"Be true to yourself and others will be true to you, too."

The Summer I Became a Nerd was a book that has been on my radar for a while. I am a huge fan of Entangled Teen Publishing and when I heard of this one I think it sounded like so much fun. I am so ashamed to admit how long it has taken me to read this book. I am so sad I didn't pick it up sooner as it was absolutely amazing.

Maddie has everything she could ever want. The perfect life. She is popular, a cheerleader and had a jock boyfriend. But Maddie is hiding something. She spends all of her time counting down until the release of the next issue of her favourite comic book series. Underneath all the facade she is a nerd through and through but she knows that she needs to keep it secret if she is to keep her friends. But suddenly she is thrown into the world of role-playing, comic conventions and everything a inner nerd could want. Add that to the fact that Maddie is falling fast for the resident nerd Logan she has to choose between who she is and the facade she has put on for years. If she chooses wrong she may lose the one person who really understands her for the person she is.

The Summer I Became A Nerd was without a doubt the perfect read for me. I am a self-confessed nerd through and through. I don't read comic books or anything like that but I love all things nerdy in terms of shows and movies and superheroes. I loved Maddie. I really sympathised with her and really understood her feelings right through the book. From her need to fit in to her realising that being true to yourself is more important I adored going through this journey of self-discovery with her.

Logan... Oh god I love Logan. I need my own Logan! I adored everything about him. His nerdiness and his never ending support and love of Maddie while she went through this personal journey. He did everything he could to support her and to help her realise that being who she is is the most important this. And I want a Logan so I can share all my nerdiness with someone. LOVE HIM

The Summer I Became A Nerd was pure awesomeness and it was nerdilicious. I loved every moment of it. It was absolutely hilarious while being romantic, beautiful, uplifting and inspirational tale. It was full of nerdy perfectness. Comic books, superheroes and romance. It made me want to go hang out in a comic book store, particularly Treasure Planet because you know Dr Who, Harry Potter Game of Thrones and Marvel... what else could you possibly want?

I am 100% in love with Leigh's storytelling and I will most definitely be reading her other works. I adored every moment of this nerdilicious book and I know it is one book I will re-read again and again. It is perfect and fun. A definite must read!

"It's Christmas! You just got your Hogwarts acceptance letter, a copy of Action Comics #1, and a brand new car that runs on water!" 

 

1 comments:

  1. Michelle (Fluttering Butterfli20 June 2014 at 13:18

    I read this book last summer and loved it. Never got around to reviewing it but so glad to see it being mentioned here :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment