Friday, June 20

Review: The Killables (The Killables #1)

The Killables (The Killables #1)
Gemma Malley

Published By: Hodder and Stroughton
Publication Date: March 29, 2012
Date Read: June 9, 2014
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 372
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Everyone accepted that people were different physically. But inside? Inside, they were different too. You just had to know how to tell, what to look for. Evil has been eradicated. The City has been established. And citizens may only enter after having the 'evil' part of their brain removed. They are labelled on the System according to how 'good' they are. If they show signs of the evil emerging, they are labelled a K ...But no one knows quite what that means. Only that they disappear, never to be seen again...

It's no surprise to anyone how much I adore dystopia novels. It's one of my favourite genres and I have read and loved every single dystopia book I have read. I have heard so much about Gemma Malley before and have heard her dystopia novels are amazing. This is the first book by Gemma Malley I have read and I was really impressed with her writing and ideas.

Evil has been eradicated. The part of the brain that has to do with emotion and aggression, the amygdala, has been removed and when living in The City everything is perfect. But Evie feels things. Does that mean she is evil? All she wants is to be good. Good enough for her family. Good enough for her city but the more she tries to be good the more she starts to dream and feel. She and Raffy know that they are 'evil' from the cities standards but when Raffy gets labelled a K she knows that she needs to get him out of the city before something horrible happens. Escaping with him she is forced into a world that she always thought was dangerous. But is the real danger outside of The City or in it?

I really enjoyed The Killables. As a Psychology graduate I loved the part that included the amygdala and the parts of the brain to do with emotion. It eased my inner psych geek. I loved that it had a scientific basis of it. I also loved Gemma's writing style. It was an amazing world and Gemma really sucks you in right from the start and then doesn't let you go until you are finished. This book reminded me of Delirium at the start with the whole 'emotion is evil' part but it soon became a lot more original and I found the book really difficult to put down.

I really loved Evie's character. The Killables is really the story of Evie's self discovery. Of discovering what is evil. Of her discovering teh difference between what she has always been taught and what she is now learning to be true. I loved her and identified with her and I am looking forward to book 2 to find out more about her.

Raffy was the guy that I was convinced would be the love interest... and he is. I liked Raffy he was sweet and all but the more I read the more he really annoyed me. This was such a change for me as if any character annoys me it is usually the main girl. In this one it was Raffy. He was stroppy and always quite mean and cold to Evie that I found myself liking his brother, the one left behind more and more. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the next books in the series.

The Killables was a great start to a series. It was a fantastic fast-paced, action-packed dystopia novel and I am really looking forward to reading more. It has aspects of other dystopia novels in there (Delirium and Uninvited) but I really enjoyed every moment of it. A definite must-read.

"Imagination shows an ability to lie, to pretend the world is different than it is."

1 comments:

  1. Well this does look like a really good book.i am a fan of great dystopia novels. Thanks for the review
    You reader,
    SOMA
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment