Tuesday, June 17

Review: City of Heavenly Fire (Mortal Instruments #6)

City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6)
Cassandra Clare

Published By: Walker Books / Margaret K McElderry Books
Publication Date: May 27, 2014
Date Read: May 31, 2014
Genre: YA - Paranormal Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 725
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!

"Heroes aren't always the ones who win. They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That;s what makes them heroes."

City of Heavenly Fire was probably the most anticipated book for me in 2014. I have devoured Cassandra Clare's previous books in both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. I loved how they interlinked with each other and I couldn't wait for this book as I knew it would not only end TMI but also the loose ends that you wanted to know from TID.

Once again Cassandra Clare blew me away. I have to be honest and say that I was a little bit worried about this book. I loved the original 3 Mortal Instruments novels and then found myself being more disappointed in the previous 2 books. I was concerned that I would feel the same with this one but I needn't have worried. City of Heavenly Fire was without a doubt the perfect ending to the series. It had everything I was looking for. Resolution and answers. Love and action. Fast paced storyline and intrigue.

I loved being back in Clary's story but I do admit at the beginning of the book it has been so long since I read the previous book (2 years) that I didn't remember a whole lot of what had happened. I was very pleased to find that by the end of the prologue I had remembered the majority of what had happened.

I was really happy to find City of Heavenly Fire showed points of view of more than just Clary. We get Jace, Magnus, Simon, Isabelle, Alec... all our favourite characters along with an unexpected one... Sebastian. I loved getting to see more of Sebastian. As someone who studied Psychology as university, seeing the perspective of the bad guy was fascinating.

I have read and loved every Cassie Clare book to date but after this book I was totally prepared to say goodbye to Shadowhunters and this world. I was starting to think it has been overdone and I was bored of them. However Cassie Clare is one of the most intelligent authors ever. Why? Because just as I was ready to say goodbye to the Shadowhunter Chronicles she introduces us to Emma and Julian. Our future main characters in The Dark Artifices series. I fell in love with them and I now need to see what happens to them. Bravo Cassie. Bravo! You hooked me right back in.

Now be prepared for some Clockwork Princess spoilers. If you have not read or finished Clockwork Princess then it will be better to skip this and the next paragraphs. You have been warned.
         At the end of Clockwork Princess its no shock that I was furious. I was so angry at the end of the epilogue. If you want to know all my feelings CLICK HERE for my full rant... review.

After reading the epilogue of Clockwork Princess I was furious. I thought it was such a cop-out. It made me hate Tessa and I really felt like it cheapened her feelings for Will. Like she didn't really love him, just used him to pass the time. It upset me and angered me. I mean I know she's immortal and he is not, and I'm not saying I want her to be alone forever but the way it was wrote she had just relived Will's death and then it was like 'Oh Jem's here now, nevermind.' It infuriated me. I know it was years later but it wasn't for us, the reader. I don't feel us Will fans were quite ready to let him go and for Tessa to move on. It was way too soon for us as his death was like 2 minutes ago. After finishing City of Heavenly Fire I accept it more and I do like it. You see Tessa and Jem together once more but you also see how much she loved Will and how much she misses him and loves him. This book is the perfect ending to The Infernal Devices as well because you see how much Will was important to both Jem and Tessa's life and how he will still be there with them. Basically I think the epilogue of Clockwork Princess didn't work for where it was put. It was ill-timed and would have been much better as a part of this book, after we've had time to mourn. Reading it at the end of Clockwork Princess it made me really hate Tessa so I think it'd have been best to leave it to this book as it makes us, the readers, feel like she has moved on after it has been a long time and that she's not using Will and just bouncing between him and Jem.
Oh.. and as much as I like Jem he will never be Will. Nobody will ever replace my number 1 Herondale.

City of Heavenly Fire was perfect. It was a huge beast of a book as 725 pages but every part was essential and it really wrapped both series up perfectly. I loved every moment of it. It made me laugh, cry and even stop breathing at points. It was an incredible finale to both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices and a fantastic 'prequel' and introduction to the upcoming The Dark Artifices. I cannot wait for Cassie Clare's next work. It is going to be epic.

"The hearts of Nephilim were like the hearts of angels: they felt every human pain, and never healed."

Some More Favourite Quotes:

"That's what happens when you fall. Everything that was bright about you becomes dark. As brilliant as you once were, that's how evil you become, it's a LONG way to fall."

"When our hearts break, they break into shards that cannot be easily got back together."

"Like the way I love you. I loved you recklessly from the moment I knew you."

"Sometimes it's braver not to fight. Protect them, and save your vengeance from another day."

And for the Infernal Devices lovers.... *cries*
Tessa: Yes, I just wish he were to see this with us. Just here with us one more time.
Jem: He is with us, Tessa. He can see us. I believe it. I FEEL it, the way I used to know sometimes
         if he was sad or angry or lonely or happy.
Tessa: And what is he now? Happy or wistful or sad or lonely. For you must know. You always 
           knew. 
Jem: He is happy, Tessa. It gives him joy to see us together as it always gave me joy to see the two 
         of you.



1 comments:

  1. Eeekk! Such a great review!! I did love finding out more about Sebastian too! *SPOILERS* I did admit that particular scene with him at the end made me cry. Not so much out of pity for him, but the sadness that we got the glimpse of the brother Clary should have had.. *cries* This was book was PERFECTION for me! Loved meeting you at the Cassie Clare event, too! Will send the Sarah J. Maas books soon- THANK YOUUU!


    Rita xx

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment