Tuesday, January 14

Non-Review: Asphodel (Underworld Trilogy #1)

Asphodel (Underworld Trilogy #1)
Lauren Hammond

Published By: SB Addison Books
Publication Date: December 20, 2011
Date DNF'd: January 11, 2014
Genre: YA - Mythology
Source: Bought
Format: E-Book
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Persephone has been running for her entire life. Running from the humans to keep her immortality a secret. And running from a man who haunts her dreams. Not a man but a god, who will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants. And what he wants most, is her.

Trapped in the realm of the dead, Persephone plans to return to the land of the living. The underworld is a terrifying place where ghosts roam freely, three headed dogs patrol the gates, and it’s a living grave where the rules of earth and the warmth of the sun no longer apply. But then, something unexpected happens. Persephone finds herself falling for the god who abducted her, the god who has chased her for five thousand years, a god who is none other than death himself, Hades.

Ripped out of the underworld by Zeus, Persephone must find a pomegranate to return to the realm of the dead and to her beloved. Consuming only a seed of the fruit of the dead would bind Persephone to spend her life beneath the earth’s core with Hades. But Zeus has reduced every pomegranate tree in the world to ash. Except one. Persephone must locate that one remaining pomegranate tree, a quest that could ignite a war between the two mightiest of the god’s. A war that could cause Persephone to lose the only family she’s ever known or give up a love that comes only once every five thousand years

Asphodel was one of those books that when it first came out I went and downloaded it onto my kindle. I love books that have mythology in them, especially ones that include greek mythology as I'm a total greek mythology geek. I was really looking forward to reading this one and I thought the blurb sounded great. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book and I only got to about 30% when I just couldn't read it anymore.

Lauren Hammond really has done a good job of taking the Persephone-Hades myth and giving it a twist and new life in the form of this very different take of the story. I really commend her for that and it's great to see new Persephone-Hades stories as it is one of my favourite myths. Unfortunately the rest of the book just fell completely flat for me.

Persephone, having been one of my favourite characters in mythology prior to this, really drove me crazy. I seriously hated her in this book. Considering that this book states that she thousands of years old she really acts like a twelve year old moaning, whiny brat! I just wanted to give her a slap to shut her the hell up! This is such a pet hate of mine in books. I cannot stand main protagonists who don't stop complaining and act like they can't do anything by themselves. And that is Persephone in this book.

If the thing with Persephone was the only thing I could've probably continued and finished the book but alas that is just the tip of the iceberg. Lauren did do a good job of bringing originality to this myth but honestly I was just bored stupid. I wasn't interested in the story or any of the characters and I ended up trying to find anything else to do rather than pick up and read this book.

Lauren's writing style is not the best I have come across. It completely prevented me from connecting with any of the characters or anything to do with the story. I just found myself reading just to get further through the book and constantly checking the percentage at the bottom of my kindle to see how much further I was. I didn't care about anything that was happening. Add that to the fact that this book reads like a first draft I just couldn't continue.

Asphodel reads like it has not been edited at all. The amount of grammatical and spelling errors in this book is unbelievable. I am a beta reader for authors so I get to read really early copies of books and even those don't have the amount of errors in it that I found in this one. And I read the unedited versions of some of these books. There was serious spelling errors and wrong choices of words in some places. At one point Hades was referred to as a 'her'.

Asphodel was a book that I really wanted to like as I do adore mythological stories but there was just too much in this book that I hated and too many editorial errors. To me this book was just really bad and based from this I don't think I will be picking up anything else by this author.



2 comments:

  1. Aw I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you. I love mythology too so it's a bummer this one wasn't any good. Great non-review! I really like how you included what worked for you and also what didn't. Gives me a great idea what to expect from this book. I hope your next read works out better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin@Blood, Sweat and Books5 March 2014 at 15:03

    Ouch this sounds like a good idea with utterly rubbish execution. I'm a huge fan of Mythological retellings so it's certainly a shame this one gave you so much trouble. However, if it didn't work it didn't work. Life is too short to waste on bad books.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment