Sunday, November 10

Review: Stir Me Up

Stir Me Up
Sabrina Elkins

Published By: HarlequinTEEN
Publication Date: October 1, 2013
Date Read: November 8, 2013
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: eARC from HarlequinTEEN and Netgalley
Format: E-Book
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Cami Broussard has her future all figured out. She'll finish her senior year of high school, then go to work full-time as an apprentice chef in her father's French restaurant, alongside her boyfriend, Luke. But then twenty-year-old ex-Marine Julian Wyatt comes to live with Cami's family while recovering from serious injuries. And suddenly Cami finds herself questioning everything she thought she wanted.

Julian's all attitude, challenges and intense green-brown eyes. But beneath that abrasive exterior is a man who just might be as lost as Cami's starting to feel. And Cami can't stop thinking about him. Talking to him. Wanting to kiss him. He's got her seriously stirred up. Her senior year has just gotten a lot more complicated…
"It's like I'm numb. Except for with you. With you, I feel too much almost."

As soon as Stir Me Up appeared on Netgalley I just had to request it. I had heard incredible things about this one from my favourite author Jennifer Armentrout and thought if Jen loved it then it's a must read. I couldn't wait to get started on this book. Unfortunately this book just fell a little flat for me. It was a good read but I do believe my expectations for this one were just a little bit too high.

Stir Me Up had so much potential but I do feel like the execution let it down a little bit. I didn't really connect with the characters at all and though there was a strong storyline hinting in there I was just getting a little bit bored and my mind was wavering. I am very much a character driven reader. I have GOT to like the characters for me to enjoy the story and with this one I just couldn't connect with them. However the more I read the more I started to enjoy the book and by the end of the book I did enjoy it.

Cami really annoyed me. All of her actions were that of a character that I want to jump in the book and give a slap. She was just acting spoilt and sometimes like a downright idiot. I seriously wanted to knock some sense into this girl.

Julian... what. an. asshole! I didn't like him. I understood that he had a traumatic thing happen to him and trust me as a Psychology grad I understand what that can do to your psyche. HOWEVER I think Julian took it way to far. He was so beyond rude! I just didn't like him at all.

I believe Stir Me Up is a great strong storyline. It's not just a love story. There's great characterisation and back story and it's a story of finding yourself. That was a great part of the story but for me there was just something missing. I didn't like the characters and it took me around 45% of the book for me to start enjoying it and wanting to continue reading and honestly if it wasn't a review book I probably just would have DNF'd it. It shouldn't take 45% of a book for me to want to keep reading.

Stir Me Up had great potential but unfortunately it was just let down a bit by the writing and characterisation. I ended up liking it in the end but it just took too long for me to get to the point of enjoyment. There was definitely something missing for me.

"I'm all yours and have been ever since you threw that muffin at me."

 

1 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm reading this soon. Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment