Tuesday, October 15

Spensations: Spotlight On... Whisper Falls


Hey Guys,
Welcome to another installment of Spensations.
I'm so excited about this because not only am I featuring another awesome book from Spencer Hill Press but I'm also featuring a really good friend too.

Whisper Falls (Whisper Falls #1)
Elizabeth Langston

Published By: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: November 19, 2013
Genre: YA - Magical Realism
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
While training for a mountain bike race, high-school senior Mark Lewis spots a mysterious girl dressed in odd clothing, standing behind a waterfall in the woods near his North Carolina home. When she comments on the strange machine that he rides, he suspects something isn’t right. When Susanna claims to be an indentured servant from 1796, he wonders if she's crazy. Yet he feels compelled to find out more.

Mark enters a ‘long-distance’ relationship with Susanna through the shimmering--and temperamental--barrier of Whisper Falls. Curious about her world, Mark combs through history to learn about the brutal life she's trapped in. But knowledge can be dangerous. Soon he must choose between the risk of changing history or dooming the girl he can't stop thinking about to a lifetime of misery

Right from the moment I first heard about this book I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It just sounds so original and unique. I cannot wait to read it.

And now welcome the awesome Elizabeth...

Hi Elizabeth
Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.

Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?

I think any author who signs with Spencer Hill has to feel lucky—not just for the opportunity to be published, but also because it’s so much fun to be part of this family. I’m friends with my editors, my fellow SHP authors, and—of course—our fearless leader Kate. The year leading up to my first release could’ve been scary and overwhelming, but SHP made sure that I, as a new author, never felt alone.

So you have a book, Whisper Falls coming out with Spencer Hill Press in November. How excited are you about releasing it into the world?

Sometimes it seems as if life is on hold. I’m ready now! I want readers to love Mark and Susanna as much as I do. I’ve been in contact with some early readers, and it’s been fun finding out what they like best, which secondary characters they want to know more about, and what questions they want answered in the sequels. I’m counting down the days.

So talk us through your typical writing routine.

If I’m awake, I’m writing.
Being a writer is a job that’s hard to turn off. Even when my hands aren’t on the keyboard, I have something writer-related humming inside my head. I’m thinking about my current book on the commute to my day job. I play around with dialogue in my head as I walk to meetings. By the time I arrive home in the evening, I’m prepared to spend hours editing (and with four books in progress, it could be any of them). Most of the time, my daughter has to remind me to eat.
Tonight, I gave myself a reward for finishing revisions on book 2. I read another author’s debut YA. Then I analyzed why I liked it (which I did!), answered messages from my editor, and pondered how to write backcover copy for the book releasing in November 2014. Yes, I had quite the night off!

Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?

My heroine, Susanna. It was a challenge to create this smart, complex girl and then drop her into a time and place that had no respect for her. As an indentured servant, she would’ve been treated more like livestock than a human being, yet she didn’t let it get to her. She found work to enjoy and people to delight in. I loved being able to witness Susanna come alive and prevail.

Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?

There are a couple of scenes where Mark and Susanna are simply talking, hidden away near the falls. Mark is patiently, carefully telling her about inventions in the 21st century. She’s listening raptly, fascinated by his wonderful, incredible stories. But even more, she’s awed by the thought that this…this…is what it must feel like to have a friend.
The scenes were sweet and sad to write.

So your book is about a barrier in time. What inspired you to write about this?

The Twilight Zone was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a child. There was one episode (“A Message From Charity”) that just haunted me. I loved the premise but hated the ending. Over the years, I made up several better ways for it to end. And then I created a new beginning. Charity (a girl accused of witchcraft in Old Salem) became Susanna (a servant tormented by her master in North Carolina). And Whisper Falls was born.

Whisper Falls is set modern day but part of it could be classed as historical. Which do you prefer to read as a reader?

My bookshelves are crammed with contemporaries at the moment, and there are so many good ones being published right now, YA and New Adult.

And which do you prefer as a writer?

Historical. I love the research. I enjoy visiting historic sites and learning how tough our predecessors were. It also reminds me how much I prefer the modern world.

So one of your characters is in 1796. What made you write her in that time?

The history decided the year for me. Based on some of the actual historical events and beliefs that I weave into the story, there really isn’t another year it could have taken place and still have been the same book.

Whisper Falls is categorized as the Magical Realism genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?

I love the genre and can’t find enough of it to satisfy me. I think it’s cool to watch a seemingly ordinary person like Mark stumble across something magical—and then use abilities he doesn’t even realize he has to deal with it.

So is there any inside information or sneak-peaks that you can give us?

There are two secondary characters in Whisper Falls that Susanna really adores. You’ll learn more about them in the sequels—and, of course, more Mark and Susanna.

And finally what can we expect from you in the future after Whisper Falls?

I have another book releasing from Spencer Hill in November 2014 called I Wish. It’s about an English genie who’s allowed to say no and the American girl he’s assigned to serve. Plus I have a YA contemporary romance that I’m playing around with. The ideas never stop.

Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round

Contemporary or Paranormal? contemporary
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Does time travel count as sci-fi?
Hardcopy or E-Book? Hardcopy
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Bookmark
Book or Movie? Movie
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla (sadly, I am “allergic” to chocolate)
Summer or Winter? winter
Ice-Cream or Cake? Ice cream (and this question inspired me to go out and buy some)
Nice guy or bad boy? Nice guy (I’m married to one, and he could be reading this)

Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today and best of look with the release.




Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


1 comments:

  1. Awesome! Loved this! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment