Tuesday, October 1

Blog Tour: Extracted (Lost Imperials #1)


Hey guys,
I'm so so excited to be a part of the blog tour for the incredible upcoming novel Extracted. Extracted is the first book in the Lost Imperials series and everything about it is amazing.

Extracted (The Lost Imperials #1)
Sherry D. Ficklin & Tyler H. Jolley

Published By: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: November 12, 2013
Genre: YA - Steampunk
  photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Welcome to the war.

The Tesla Institute is a premier academy that trains young time travelers called Rifters. Created by Nicola Tesla, the Institute seeks special individuals who can help preserve the time stream against those who try to alter it.

The Hollows is a rogue band of Rifters who tear through time with little care for the consequences. Armed with their own group of lost teens--their only desire to find Tesla and put an end to his corruption of the time stream.

Torn between them are Lex and Ember, two Rifters with no memories of their life before joining the time war.

When Lex’s girlfriend dies during a mission, the only way he can save her is to retrieve the Dox, a piece of tech which allows Rifters to re-enter their own timeline without collapsing the time stream. But the Dox is hidden deep within the Telsa Institute, which means Lex must go into the enemy camp. It’s there he meets Ember, and the past that was stolen from them both comes flooding back.

Now armed with the truth of who they are, Lex and Ember must work together to save the future before the battle for time destroys them both…again.

I am very lucky to already have this book on my shelf and it is seriously my next read. When asked what the next 'big genre' should be I responded that I wanted more YA Steampunk and I think this could definitely be the spark that starts a steampunk phase and I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Now you may recall a little feature I do for Spencer Hill Press books called Spensations? Well Me, Sherry and Tyler decided that we would combine Spensations with the tour so here we go...


Hi Sherry and Tyler
Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.

Thanks for having us!

Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?

Sherry - I have worked with a lot of publishers, and each has been great in their own way, but Spencer Hill is more than just a publishing house. It’s like a big (crazy, rowdy, obnoxious) family. They have been truly wonderful.
Tyler – It’s like the Duck Dynasty of the Publishing world. We could sit and eat together, hang out, play together; we take care of each other.

So you have a book, Extracted coming out with Spencer Hill Press in November. How excited are you about releasing it into the world?

Sherry - Excited and nervous. It’s in the hands of reviewers now and it’s like being on pins and needles all the time. I don’t think that feeling goes away until the book has been out for a while and you can see how people react to it. It’s scary. Like, going to school the first day and realizing you forgot to wear pants.
Tyler – I feel it’s like when your oldest child leaves the house. I’m nervous but excited to see how people react to it, good or bad. I’m just glad they’re reading this story that we’ve created. I’m excited to do interviews where I can discuss the plot when it’s not a secret anymore.

So talk us through your typical writing routine.

Sherry - Our routines are very different. I write Monday-Friday from about 10am to about 3pm. On days my kids are home, that time drops into nonexistent range. But most days by the time they get home at three, I’m at the mercy of their schedules. I don’t write at night or on weekends unless I’m editing something or behind on a deadline.
Tyler – There’s a routine? I didn’t know you could have a routine. I take it when I can get it, I write when I can, in between patients, over lunch break, driving with my buddies to go bird hunting (as a passenger), at my kids football game – no wait- that’s where I draw the line.

Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?

Sherry - I enjoyed all the Extracted characters, but it’s easier for me to write the girls. Ember and Stein are very different, but both very special to me in their own ways.
Tyler - Nobel was my favorite character to write because I watched a lot of MacGyver growing up, and in my eyes Nobel is the steampunk MacGyver. I can hear the theme music as I write this.

Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?

Sherry - I am really good with emotional scenes. I prefer scenes where I get to really reveal a character, show who they are deep down. Those are my favorite to write.
Tyler - MacGyver theme song still going through my head. And for that I like to write action or fast paced scenes with really creative gizmos and world creation going on.

So your book is about time travel what inspired you to write about this?

Sherry - I was watching a special on the lost imperial children and I thought, you know, the reason they weren’t found with the others is because they were time travelers who died centuries later and were just taken back. Yeah, my nerd brain at work.
Tyler – Sherry came up with the concept of time traveling kids for the story. But, the actual mechanics of time travel were conceptualized by both of us. The mechanics of time travel comes in two forms, one is with a Tether, a really neat device that takes them to different times and back to the institute. The other, used by he hollows and it’s a green pill called Contra that has a time stamp on it that takes the kids to the a certain place and time and back. The main thing we wanted with our time travel, was that it’s clear and concise and the reader doesn’t have to take our word for it that they time travel.

Extracted is categorized as the Steampunk genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?

Sherry - It really evolved organically, like all good stories do. Once we started listening to the characters, their world just was steampunk. It was never a question.
Tyler - We really liked the historical/Victorian sci-fi aspect of writing this novel, so it just became fitting that it was a genre that neither of us had written in. It was like a shiny new toy, we couldn’t get enough.

So is there any inside information or sneak-peaks that you can give us?

Sherry - I will say that there is a character in book one, who isn’t mentioned a lot, who ends up being the most important of them all. We sort of got done with everyone’s back stories, looked at this character, and went to each other, you realize what we just did there, right? You won’t get to see that bear fruit until book 3, but when it does. Boom.
And we do have the deleted prologue up as a bonus over on the website. www.thelostimperials.com
Tyler – The majority of all the characters have very interesting historical backgrounds that fit right into actual history, as we know it.

And finally what can we expect from you in the future after Extracted?

Sherry - Prodigal (book 2) is in the very capable hands of the editors right now, and we are both working on new individual books as well. For me, I’m bouncing between a new YA Mythology set in Atlantis and a new YA ghost story/suspense.
Tyler – Yes Prodigal is in full steam, first draft is done. Hallelujah! My agent John Rudolph, at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management, has me working on Chemika which is YA/sci-fi dystopian novel.

Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round

Contemporary or Paranormal? Sherry - Paranormal Tyler – Paranormal
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Sherry - Sci-Fi Tyler – Dystopian
Hardcopy or E-Book? Sherry - Hardcopy 90% of the time Tyler - ebook
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Sherry -Jacket flap or dog-ear. Tyler - Bookmark
Book or Movie? Sherry - Book Tyler – both
Chocolate or Vanilla? Sherry - Swirl Tyler – Vanilla Ice
Summer or Winter? Sherry - Autumn, but Summer if I have to choose Tyler - Summer
Ice-Cream or Cake? Sherry - CAKE! Tyler – cake a la mode
Coffee or Tea? Sherry - Herbal tea or Diet Coke Tyler – Diet Coke

Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today and I hope you’ll join me again to talk closer than the release date.

Of course! Thanks for having us!
Thanks, Kayleigh. You’re awesome!




GIVEAWAY TIME!


 Sherry and Tyler:

Tyler H. Jolley is a sci-fi/fantasy author and full-time orthodontist, periodontist (see: Overachiever). He divides his spare time between writing, reading, mountain biking, and camping with his family.
Sherry D. Ficklin is a full-time writer and internet radio show host with more mouth then good sense. She has a serious book addiction, but continually refuses treatment, much to her husband’s chagrin.
Tyler and Sherry met one fateful day and bonded over their love for books, science fiction, and donuts. Their first co-written novel came shortly after. Now, they still do all those other things, but also go to various steampunk conventions and events under the guise of ‘research’. They can often be found lurking on the Lost Imperials Facebook page or over on the official website, www.thelostimperials.com.

12 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this and the cover is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayleigh, thank you for hosting us! We are so excited to start our tour with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Tyler, you were cracking me up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks so awesome! Picked up a copy at BEA and am excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck on your release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read an ARC of this book and it was amazing. Its style, its story, everything made it great. Also, every time I read an interview with these two it makes me smile. Such silly and talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for the relaese i'm looking forward to it !! Thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read it. Preordered it a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great read. I'm going to get it for my tween for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read this book. Pre-ordered and just waiting.. =) Awesome interview.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome contest! Can't wait to read the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this amazing giveaway! I hope i win :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment