Tuesday, September 10

Spensations: Spotlight On... Death and Mr Right


Hey Guys,
Welcome to another Spensations. I am so excited to feature on the best bookish friends in the world, and her super awesome book, Kendra Saunders.

Death and Mr Right
Kendra L Saunders

Published By: Spence City
Publication Date: October 1, 2013
Genre: Adult - Urban Fantasy
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:It is March 32nd, the day that doesn't exist, and Death, the agent of nightmares, has been demoted and exiled to live among mortals for the rest of his unnaturally long life. Everyone knows They don't look lightly on important items getting lost or an agent falling in love.

Can the diva-like Death navigate the modern world, recover what was stolen from him (the names of the damned ooops!) and get his job back? Or will he fall in love with Lola, the pretty thief who got him into all this trouble in the first place?

Right from the first moment I saw that amazing cover I automatically wanted to read it. I adore how light and funny it is which is so unique and different to other books in the same genre.

Introducing... Kendra Saunders!

Hi Kendra
Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.
 
Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?
 
It’s pretty cool! A couple of my author peers have become friends, including Darby Karchut, Emily White and Jennifer Allis Provost, and Kelly Hashway and Mary Gray have been so much fun to meet/chat with. And of course, Karen and Joanne Rock!
 
So you have a book, Death and Mr Right coming out with Spencer Hill Press’ imprint Spence City in October. How excited are you about releasing it into the world?
 
Very excited! I wrote it a long time ago now, so it feels like another lifetime. I wrote almost the whole book at my local Starbucks, though, so the staff knows me by name and they allowed me to spend sometimes 4-7 hours there, writing and giggling to myself at funny things in the book. It’s Douglas Adams style humor, very much screwball and very camp. It’s different from any other books that Spencer Hill or Spence City has released, because it’s a comedy.
 
Also, I signed copies of the book at BEA in crowds of tens of thousands of book fans, met people who wanted my book and made some new fans. Dmitry Sholokhov, Project Runway winning fashion designer and a muse of mine, was kind enough to drop by as my guest and take pictures with me (and with his copy of my book!) which was awesome. There were so many camera flashes that I felt like I was on a red-carpet! So that got me all excited for the book but then I’ve had to wait, because it doesn’t drop until October. Longest wait ever!
 
So talk us through your typical writing routine.
 
I get ideas for characters first, always. My books are all character driven. And some characters exist in my mind for years before they find their way to a real project… but I keep several special scrapbooks of inspiration- photos, quotes, magazine clippings, fortunes, etc. I go back to those regularly for ideas, especially when a new character pops into my head.
 
Usually I choose a sort of ‘theme’ or feeling for the book, as well. For Death and Mr. Right the theme was “A Wrinkle In Time” and “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” and the idea was inspired by a photograph of a friend of mine, who Death is based on. For the Unlove Spell (a romantic comedy I have out to agents right now) the theme was "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and Ellie Goulding’s music.
 
After that, I write a very sketchy outline, usually with no idea of the end of the book, and dive into writing. The faster I write, the better. I rewrite as I go, even though some people tell you not to do that! I have to, at least for the small things, or it bothers me in a sort of OCD way, ha!
 
Most of this is done at a coffee shop or while I’m snuggled in bed at 2am.
 
Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?
 
In Death and Mr. Right, I related most to Death. Anything embarrassing that happens to him or that he does was probably based on my life. Some scenes were drawn almost entirely from my own life- namely the tequila scene! Others are more subtle.
 
That being said, though, I had the most fun writing Wellington’s dialogue and my favorite character to spend time with was Lillian Gale. She’s a recurring character in my books (which are all connected) so if you enjoy her, read Inanimate Objects! She has a role in that one,too.
 
Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?
 
There’s a scene that involves a small apartment party with a bunch of pretentious “German art house freaks.” By far that was my favorite scene to write, my favorite scene to read aloud and probably one of my favorite scenes I’ve ever written! I hope it makes everyone laugh to read as much as it made me laugh to write.
 
So your book is about Death… in the modern world. What inspired you to write about this?
 
My friend Ricky is an enigmatic subject in photos. There’s something about him that seems mysterious and otherworldly when you view him from the distance of a lens. He has crazy eyes, for one thing, but also a sort of elfen build. He’s inspired me (literally) from the day I met him. I’ve written two characters for him, one in a short story called Second Thanksgiving, which I wrote the day I met him, and the other is Death.
 
In person, Ricky is quite silly and approachable and not at all as mysterious as he seems in pictures, but the girl who inspired Lola in the book took a picture of him that inspired the book. It featured two people, one tall and one short, facing a rather scary looking stormy evening sky.
 
Long ago I had written part of a poem about two men sitting on a bench and watching the sun go down, speaking as old friends. The idea was that at the end we would realize that one man was the Grim Reaper and the other was the agent of love. I never finished writing it, but the image remained in my head for years, and I drew from that for this book.
 
But really, who doesn’t want to read about the agent of nightmares as the GOOD guy? And the agent of love as a bit of an antagonist?
 
 
Death and Mr Right has such a unique and memorable cover. It’s so upbeat and humorous which is really different from other recent covers. Does it reflect the book?
 
Absolutely! The cover is colorful and silly, and so is the inside. I was very lucky to be there the day of the photoshoot for the book, so I got to style a lot of it. That was amazing!
 
Death and Mr Right is categorized as the Urban Fantasy genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?
 
Everything I write has some element of magic or mystery in it. Everything. Even if it’s not magic, it’s something that’s a little more exciting than real life. And honestly, I’ve been writing in this genre for maybe 10 years, it just didn’t have a cool genre name back then!
 
So is there any inside information or sneak-peaks that you can give us?
 
The book is totally guy-friendly! It’s not a romance. It’s funny, silly, it has lots of action and even a little bit of scary stuff. I mean, it’s about a guy losing his job as the agent of nightmares and then trying to survive assassination attempts by reapers in modern Boston. It’s fun.
 
Also, Michael the ghost was totally inspired by Jason Bateman. If this becomes a movie, he’s at the top of my list.
 
And finally what can we expect from you in the future after Death and Mr Right?
 
I’ve written an amazing romantic comedy called The Unlove Spell, which is about a NYC-based witch named Marling and a writer named Viktor Arson, who also happens to be a Russian fae prince. The girl gets to save the prince, there are lovely cold landscapes, Russian history, fashion, ice-water mermaids and all kinds of great stuff. I’m beyond excited about The Unlove Spell! Every girl in the world will fall in love with Viktor Arson, I promise you.
 
And I’m currently writing and posting a free book called Levitate for my fans on my website. The idea was to make it a bit like a miniseries… you can tune in every Friday to my website for a new chapter. I’m posting it while still writing the rest of it, so it’s a good incentive to keep moving quickly! It’s a dystopian post-apoc story with a great female lead.
 
Also, I conduct interviews with artistic celebrities, including authors, musicians and fashion designers, so you can always check those out through my website or youtube channel (www.youtube.com/user/KendraLSaunders )
 
Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round
 
Contemporary or Paranormal? Paranormal!
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Both!
Hardcopy or E-Book? Hardcopy ONLY!
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Depends on the book.
Book or Movie? Depends on the story!
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla!
Summer or Winter? WINTER! (But mostly autumn)
Ice-Cream or Cake? Cheesecake!
Coffee or Tea? Oh God- both!
Nice guy or bad boy? Nice boy!
 
Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today and I wish you all the luck for the release.
 



 
 

1 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment