Thursday, August 8

Early Review: The Darkest Part (Living Heartwood #1)

The Darkest Part (Living Heartwood #1)
Trisha Wolfe

Publication Date: August 8, 2013
Date Read: July 28, 2013
Genre: NA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Beta Read Copy from Trisha Wolfe
Format: E-Book
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Pressing the boundaries of both the psyche and the heart, Sam and Holden embark on a dangerous journey that will test the limits of love.

Sam Wintry’s life used to be almost perfect. She was engaged to her childhood best friend and high school sweetheart, Tyler Marks, planning an amazing cross-country honeymoon during her college break. But after a hit-and-run leaves her in ruin, she begins seeing Tyler’s fractured, ghostly presence, and her family believes she’s losing her mind. Not until she completes their journey, stopping along the way to scatter Tyler's remains, will Tyler be able cross over. Only...is Sam ready for him to leave her?

When the black sheep of the Marks' family, Holden Marks, returns to check on Tyler's case, Sam convinces him to give her his brother's ashes. Despite their shaky history, she needs him...plus, he owes it to Sam and his brother. What she doesn’t count on is Holden’s relentlessness to go on the trip.

On the road, Holden realizes just how unhinged Sam has become. Dealing with her psychosis forces him to confront his dark past, making it harder to keep secrets hidden that should remain buried. Especially from Sam, the only woman he’s ever loved. And as Sam starts to unravel the truth, she begins to question if the brother she's unwillingly falling for again is in an even darker place than her.

Oh My Word!
This book is without a doubt utter perfection!

I have been a huge fan of Trisha Wolfe ever since she sent me her fantasy novella, Unveiled, for review I just fell head over heels in love with her writing style and her stories. When she told me she was trying her hand at a NA Contemporary I was beside myself with excitement. I adore contemporary novels and have been on quite a NA kick lately so I couldn't wait to dive into this one. Imagine just how much more excited I got when she said I could beta read it. I was bouncing in my seat I was so excited. The Darkest Part did not disappoint and is possibly the best novel that Trisha has ever written to date.

When I sat down to start The Darkest Part I devoured it... in one sitting. I was sucked into this story of love lost, mental illness and desperation and it hooked me and touched me like no other NA Contemp I have read. Maybe it's the fact that my degree is in Psychology but the mental health aspect of this story was what I feel makes it so unique from all the other novels that are out there. A lot of NA novels have some traumatic event that has happened in the past but none of them, or at least the ones I have come across, have focussed on the mental impact that can have in terms of being diagnosed with a mental illness. The Darkest Part not only dwells on it but it is the focus of the story. It has a twist of magic and all the way through you are trying to figure out whether it is a twist of fate and magic or whether it is just a part of the mental illness. It is so cleverly wrote and well done that it has you double thinking and double guessing all the way through. Only an incredibly talented author would be able to pull that off and Trisha Wolfe does it perfectly.

Sam has lost the love of her life. When her boyfriend dies Sam is distraught. But it only lasts so long when she starts to see his Ghost... Her family are convinced she has a mental illness... that the trauma of losing her long time love has been too much for her fragile mind. But Sam knows its real... she knows that Tyler is there and in order to get him to cross over she must put him to rest... which means that she needs to go on the journey of a lifetime... the one they were supposed to do together.
Enlisting the help of Tyler's estranged brother Holden they take off across the country with Tyler's ashes and take him on one last journey. But the more state lines the cross the more lies of Tyler's past comes to light. Sam finds out the dark truths her love kept from her and discovers a darker side to Tyler she never knew... Can Sam really get over Tyler when so much is coming to light she never knew? And can she really truth the truth of Tyler's 'ghost' or is it really just a figment of a mental illness. Sam is on a journey to find out... and can she really move on when Tyler's drop-dead gorgeous, yet troubled brother, who shares a shaky past with Sam, makes her heart start to beat again?

Sam... oh my word Sam! I adore her! She is one of my favourite heroine's of all time. I know I always talk about how much I want a kick-ass heroine in my books but this is the exception. Not that Sam isn't kick-ass, in her own way she is, but she is vulnerable and has so much trouble to go through and face and you cannot help but love her and root for her all the way through. Although the book is without a doubt a romance, Sam goes through a journey of self-discovery and learns so much about herself and that I find is the best part of the book. I love the journey that Sam goes on in discovering herself and her struggle of what she believes is true yet everyone else thinks its a mental illness. I love Sam's journey and it makes the book just so unbelievably perfect!

Holden... oh my goodness! I am head over heels in love with Holden. Holden has a past, a seriously messed up past and he is such the bad boy, yet he is perfect in every way. Right from the moment Holden was introduced I fell head over heels in love with him. In everything he did... everything he said... I just loved him more. He is one of those book boys that you want to grab into the book and pull him out because you love him so much you need him to be read and for him to love you! I adore him. I think he has taken a permanent spot in my Top Book Boyfriends gallery! I adore him.

The Darkest Part has everything you could possibly want. It has bucket loads of sexual tension, heart-melting romance and love, yet it also has something darker... something more than you usually find in NA Contemps. It has that struggle of self-perservation and self-worth and it really takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I couldn't put it down. I loved every single moment of it.

I have read the majority of Trisha's other books and I adore them. I love her fantasy novels but I have to say I think her real talent comes out in this contemporary novel. In contemporary there is nothing to hide behind. No fantasy world, or creatures, or powers... it's just you, the characters and the depth of emotion that goes on in their journey. The Darkest Part is the best of her books without a doubt. She has really found her place in this genre and I can guarantee she is not going anywhere. The Darkest Part is pure perfection and a must read for everyone. This is one book that will never leave you. The depth of emotion is so potent that it really grabs you and takes you on this journey and you feel every emotion along with Sam and Holden. You will read it and no matter how long it is since you read it, it still stays with you long after you've finished.

I cannot praise The Darkest Part and Trisha enough. Trisha Wolfe is definitely one author to watch out for. I can see big things for her in the future. Her writing is perfect and her storytelling is one of pure talent and power. The Darkest Part really shows the extent to her storytelling skills and it is pure perfection in every way.
A must-read.


2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOVED this one too and I love your review! It's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment