Tuesday, July 2

Review: Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend #1)

Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend #1)
JK Rock

Published By: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Publication Date: July 2, 2013
Date Read: June 29, 2013
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Review Copy from Spencer Hill Contemp
Format: Paperback
Pages: 324
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
The summer of her dreams is about to get a reality check.

They said it couldn't be done, but geeky sophomore Lauren Carlson transformed herself into a popular girl after moving to a new school halfway across the country. Amazing what losing her braces and going out for cheerleading will do. Only trouble is, the popular crowd is wearing on Lauren's nerves and she can't wait to return to summer camp where she's valued for her brain instead of her handsprings. She misses her old friends and most of all, her long time camp-only boyfriend, Seth. This year she intends to upgrade their relationship to year-round status once she's broken up with her new, jock boyfriend, Matt. He doesn't even begin to know the real her, a girl fascinated by the night sky who dreams of discovering new planets and galaxies.

But Matt isn't giving her up without a fight. As he makes his case to stay together, Lauren begins to realize his feelings run deeper than she ever would have guessed. What if the guy she thought she was meant to be with forever isn't really The One? Returning to Camp Juniper Point was supposed to ground her uprooted life, but she's more adrift than ever. Everything feels different and soon Lauren's friends are turning on her and both guys question what she really wants. As summer tensions escalate, Lauren wonders if she's changed more than she thought. Will her first big discovery be herself?

There are seriously no words to explain just how excited I was about this book. As soon as I heard that my favourite publisher, Spencer Hill Press was launching a new Contemporary line I was pretty much bouncing with excitement. I am soooo in love with contemporary book. Then I heard about this book from writing due Karen and Joanne Rock I was so beyond excited. Since first hearing about this book I have become friends with Karen and Joanne and let me tell you they are so awesome. I love them to pieces. Having become friends with them it made me even more excited to read this. Let me tell you I was not disappointed in the slightest.

After reading Camp Kiss the free prequel I was so damn excited to get started and had already made my mind up about which guy I loved. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about the series at first purely because it was set in Camp and being in the UK I don't really understand the big deal with camp. It's not such a big thing around here and I have never experienced it. BUT by the time I was 2 pages into the prequel I was in love with camp and now having finished Camp Boyfriend I'm like man I wanna move to the US so I can go to camp!

Lauren has been counting down the days until she can return to camp and her soul mate Seth. Seth is her Camp Boyfriend and this year she has plans to turn their summer time relationship to a full time thing. But when her current boyfriend refuses to budge and fights for her Lauren has to choose between who she believed her soul mate and the boy whose feelings may run deeper than she ever expected. But Lauren has been living a lie. She is the perfect popular girl with Matt but her inner geek comes out when she's with Seth. But which one is the real Lauren? And how can she choose where her heart lies when she doesn't even know who she is herself.

I fell head over heels in love with this book. JK Rock have the best writing style. It's just so refreshing and easy to read where you can just get stuck right in and completely involved with the characters and story. Right from the start I was completely attached to this story and I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day only stopping to eat. I literally could not put it down!

Lauren is such a great character and I really loved her in this book. You might think Camp Boyfriend it's a total love story and in a way you are right. But it is so much more than that. It is a story of self discovery and you end up not even being a team. You're not rooting for any particualr guy you're just rooting for Lauren and for her to do whatever she needs as long as she is happy. I loved Lauren and she had to go through so much and I ended up being really defensive of her. For the most part I was getting really angry at the way her friends were acting and Lauren seriously has the patience of a saint because her friends? I would have punched them in the face by a quarter of the way into the book.

Oh the boys... the boys in this book had me in such a fuddle. I didn't know who to root for. Right at the start I was obviously Team Seth! I fell head over heels in love with Seth in the prequel, Camp Kiss and I was so rooting for him... but the more I read the more confused I got because Matt is such a sweetheart and at times I would just be like awww I love him Team Matt.... and then I would go back to team Seth and then I was just like...


So overall I am just way confused when it comes to these boys. The thing with this particular love triangle is that there isn't one guy who would be better for Lauren. They are both amazing guys who deserve to be with her... I just found that by the end there was one guy who was a better match than her. And then I just got way confused because Seth is my favourite character in the whole book but...


Camp Boyfriend is without a doubt one of the best YA Contemporary novels I have ever read and I loved it so much. It is a must read and ended up with me wishing I had grown up in the US so that I could have gone to camp. It sounds like so much fun! Camp Boyfriend has everything, a great heroine, two crazy swoony boys and friendship. It completely blew me away and was so much more awesomesauce than I ever thought possible!

If I had to describe Camp Boyfriend in a few words it would be: emotional, uplifting and awesome. I got so into this book that I felt like I was experiencing everything along with Lauren and really her friends... I wanted to punch them... in the face... preferrably with a chair! Seriously give a girl a break! Geez.

If there is one book you read this summer make sure it is Camp Boyfriend. I loved every moment of this book and then ending was perfect. I can't wait to see what happens with these characters next... Oh... and Seth... I love you!

 photo 5-star.png
 photo kayleigh.png




2 comments:

  1. Really want to get to this series. Have the prequel from BEA but time - that I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that's it. I can't take it anymore. I HAVE to read this book now. I've drug it out long enough.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment