Saturday, July 6

Early Review: The 100 (The Hundred #1)

The 100 (The Hundred #1)
Kass Morgan

Published By: Hodder and Stroughton
Publication Date: August 29, 2013
Date Read: July 3, 2013
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Review Copy from Hodder Childrens Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 288
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
An epic journey from the depths of outer space to a wild, futuristic Earth

In 3010, humanity lives in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland . . . before it's too late.

Now a hundred juvenile delinquents are sent on a high-stakes mission to re-colonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community and to get over their dark pasts. In order to survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.

First of all I have to say that prior to receiving this book through the post for review I had never even heard of it. After getting it I couldn't wait to read it. I am such an enormous fan of YA dystopia books. It is one of my all time favourite genres I just love these kinds of books so much. I feel that I should say that The 100 TV show is due for release in the fall on the CW. I cannot wait to see it as based on this book it is going to be absolutely incredible.

The Earth is uninhabitable and has been for hundreds of years. The human population has been moved onto a spaceship while the Earth heals. The 100 follows the lives of 4 teens as the delinquents are sent to Earth to test whether the Earth is safe for inhabitation again. These criminals are seen as expendable so they are sent down to Earth. But is the Earth safe or not? These teens are about to find out and go on the journey of their life.

I have to say that The 100 is one of the most addictive YA dystopia novels I have ever read. The writing style is simple and easy to follow. It's not complex and doesn't make you have to think a whole lot to understand the world and what has happened. I see this as one of the biggest strengths of this novel. A lot of YA Dystopians bombard you with information about this new damaged world and often it can leave you confused and having to really think hard about the book to enable you to follow it. The 100 doesn't. The writing style is so simple and easy to follow it is a really refreshing writing style for this genre. It enables you to be able to speed through this book, get to know the characters easily and really enjoy the story.

The 100 is told is split perspective. I love split perspective books. Whenever I read books where there is only one narrator I often wonder how the events and everything look from other characters perspectives. The thing that worried me was that in this book we have four narrators. Yes four! Two girls and two boys. This being the first book I have read with four narrators had me a little worried that I would get confused and wouldn't be able to follow each characters story very well. I needn't have worried at all. I loved seeing it from different points of view and every time it went to one character I was dying to know what was happening with the others as well. It was very well done.

I really enjoyed The 100 and it has such a fantastic and addictive storyline but I had a few issues with it. My issue with this book is that I get the feeling that this story was initially wrote for the TV show and then adapted to the novel afterwards. And you can feel that while reading. For me there was a lack of world building. There wasn't enough detail about the past and what had happened to make the Earth inhabitable. I got that there was a war but we've had wars before... what about this particular war made the Earth inhabitable? This sort of information is vital for a dystopia novel to me. I feel like that infomation is more easily passed over in a TV show because you are seeing it and it can be explained briefly with a voice over. And that's what we get a very brief explanation. For me the world building and detail and depth that I would have liked to read about was missing. Also there are things developed in this new 'space' world that I wanted to know where they had come from? How did they develop? And we didn't get any explanation for them.

The 100 is an addictive storyline and I am so excited to see the TV show. I know it is going to be absolutely amazing but I feel like maybe it might have been better left as a TV show because a lot of the background that is vital for a dystopia novel was missing. I still adored the storyline and the characters and I will definitely be reading the next novel. I can't wait to see what happens next.

 photo 3star.png
 photo kayleigh.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment