Saturday, June 1

Spensations: Spotlight On... PODs


Hey Guys,
Welcome to another spotlight on one of Spencer Hill Press' upcoming novels. Today I am so incredibly excited to feature one of my all time favourite SHP books. That book is PODs by the amazing Michelle Pickett.

So what's the book about you ask?
Are you ready to feast your eyes on this awesomeness?
You're sure......
Okay check it out.

PODs
Michelle Pickett

Published By: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: June 5, 2013
Genre: YA - Dystopia
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul.

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters.

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.

Right from reading this blurb I instantly couldn't wait to read this book. Already being a huge fan of dystopia novels this one just sounded awesome. I wasn't wrong! I was very lucky to receive an ARC for this one and I loved every moment of it. It is without a doubt one of my favourite dystopia books of all time. I loved everything about it.

To check out my review CLICK HERE

Now in true Spensations fashion I invited the wonderful Michelle here to talk all things Spencer Hill and PODs so let's give a huge welcome to Michelle Pickett.

 
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.

Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?

Oh, wow, I can’t say enough great things about Spencer Hill. I don’t know a lot of people because Kate is my editor so I work mostly with her, but those that I’ve met have been absolutely wonderful. I’m so excited to meet them at BEA this year in New York. 

So first of all tell us what’s your typical writing routine?

Ha! Well, I try to stick to a routine, but it rarely happens.  I like to write first thing in the morning while my kids are at school.  In the afternoon I blog, email, Facebook, that sort of thing. But, ideas hit whenever they want, so I end up writing when I should be blogging.  And it goes the other way, too. I may not have one good idea the entire morning so I spend my morning on Facebook to entertain myself—or I email Kate. She loves that. (Especially when she already has 500 emails to read.) 

So you have a book, PODs, coming out with Spencer Hill Press. What was the inspiration behind the story?

I really don’t have a good answer for that question. I’d love to say it came to me in a dream or something like that, but it didn’t. It started out as a “what if” game, just like all my books have. I see something or hear something on the news and think…what if this happened, and then this, and then this and what if…and so on until a story starts to form.

I think my husband and I were talking about the super viruses that have been in the news and my mother had been in the hospital and contracted MRSA, which was not responding well to any treatment. Maybe the idea sparked from these events. I really can’t say for sure. I don’t have a point in time where I can say, “That’s when I decided to write the book!”

Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?

I really love Eva and David, the two main characters. And I love how their relationship develops. I enjoyed writing them a lot. In fact when the book was finished I missed them. Sounds weird, I’m sure.

But I really, really loved Roy. We don’t get to see a lot of him in PODs. He’s a secondary character and only comes in at the end of the story, but I loved him.  He’ll be around a lot in the sequel to PODs that releases next fall titled, The Infected.

Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?

Oh, yes! My absolute favorite scene is chapter twenty-two. The chapter consists of just one scene so it’s very short. I can’t tell you any more than that because of spoilers. But it was a great scene to write, both emotional and action packed. And when my editors (Kate and Danielle Ellison) told me they loved it too, it made me want to cry and jump up and down at the same time.

The second scene I loved writing was a scene when Eva left for the PODs. There’s actually more than one scene, but the one I’m talking about is a flashback she has once she is in quarantine. It’s an emotional scene.

Then of course there are all the hot sexy scenes between David and Eva…those weren’t too bad either.

So when reading the blurb of PODs I was sold at the zombie-like creatures… are you a fan of zombies in books?

Yes, I like zombies. Actually, I like a variety of creatures in books, but I like books without monsters, as well.

So PODs is categorized as post-apocalyptic/dystopia in genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?

Well, as the story developed in my head I knew the virus was going to be so lethal it would kill everyone who came in contact with it. I didn’t really think about that classifying the book as a post-apocalyptic. So it wasn’t something I sat down specifically to write.  I tend to focus on the story and what the characters are telling me, rather than what type of story or genre it is.

As far as it being a dystopian, I didn’t consider it fitting into the genre at all until another person mentioned it. When I thought about it I could see how it could be a dystopian, although it isn’t anything like the level of Divergent or the Hunger Games. So if that’s a reader’s only experience with dystopian, PODs probably won’t seem to fit into that genre.

So is there any inside-information or sneak peeks of PODs that you can give us?

Huh, let’s see…

PODs is due for release in June. How excited are you about releasing the book into the world?

Honestly? I feel a bit nauseous.  I’m so excited to have PODs published. It’s a dream come true, obviously, and I’m so blessed. There are so many talented authors who never get published, so I don’t take any of this for granted.  But at the same time, this is my baby and I’m pushing it out into the big, bad world where people are going to judge it and that’s scary. Some will like it—some won’t.  I just hope more like it than don’t.

My husband and I have already decided that we’ll drive all over Texas if we have to until we find a copy of PODs in a bookstore so we can get a picture of it. So, yeah, I’m just a teeny bit excited.

Bonus: It releases on my son’s 12th birthday! That has to be good luck, right?

Well I for one cannot wait to read it….

And finally what can we expect from you after PODs? A new series perhaps?

Well, PODs was originally written as a stand-alone. I had no intention of writing a sequel. In fact, my editor (Kate Kaynak) and I discussed it and decided it may take away from the book.  But the characters just wouldn’t shut-up. So, I wrote The Infected, the sequel to PODs. I originally did it just to get the urge to write the story out, but when I was finished I sent it to Kate to get her feedback. She signed it and it will be released November 2014.

I’ve also written a paranormal-romance trilogy. The first book, Milayna, is scheduled for release March 11, 2014. The second and third books’ release are contingent on sales of PODs and Milayna…so buy some books because Milayna is a trilogy you’ll want to read! It’s not your “typical” angel series. I’m really excited about it. Milayna is a kick-butt character, but still very sweet at the same time. And she and Chay are so adorable together, but, like in all relationships, they have their problems, too.  I think their faults and failures make them believable characters and (hopefully) relatable.

Currently I’m finishing up a young adult urban fantasy that has a sweet romance and, of course, zombies in it. It’s currently untitled. When I finish the urban fantasy I have a young adult contemporary romance and a new adult contemporary romance that I’d like to write, both are new genres for me so we’ll see how it goes.  But I hope you’ll be seeing me hanging around for a little while longer.

Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round

Contemporary or Paranormal? Both
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Both
Hardcopy or E-Book? Both
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Oh, don’t hurt a book. Use a bookmark! I have some I’ll give you.
Book or Movie? Book – unless my book is made into a movie.  Then it’d be Movie!
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
Summer or Winter? Summer
Ice-Cream or Cake? Ice-cream
Coffee or Tea? Tea
Nice guy or bad boy? Wow-that’s a hard one. Sometimes those bad boys are so good. But I’m a sucker for a nice guy and David in PODs is such a good guy.

Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today and I hope you’ll join me again to talk closer than the release date.

Thank you so much for having me, Kayleigh. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate bloggers like you who give their time to help authors spread the word about their books! You are invaluable to us. I’ve enjoyed answering the interview questions and I hope to visit again. Thanks so much.

Oh, and I absolutely love to hear from readers and other authors. You can find me here:

Website:            www.Michelle-Pickett.com
Email:                        Michelle@Michelle-Pickett.com
Blog:                        www.Michelle-Pickett.com/blog
Facebook:              www.Facebook.com/michellepickettauthor
Twitter:            http://www.twitter.com/michelle_kp
Goodreads:            http://goodreads.com/michelle-pickett
Linked In:            http://www.linkedin.com/in/michellepickett
PODs:                        http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/PODs.html
Amazon            http://amazon.com/author/michellepickett
Pinterest            http://pinterest.com/michelleauthor/


Don't forget PODs is out in 4 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

It's awesome and not to be missed!

 photo kayleigh.png

1 comments:

  1. Thanks again for having me on your blog, Kayleigh! I'm sending massive hugs your way!

    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment