Tuesday, May 28

Spensations: Spotlight On... Copper Girl


Hey Guys,
Welcome to another installment of Spensations. Okay so this one is going up crazy late but this month has been so hectic and better late than never right?

I am so excited to feature this book today as I have already read it and it is absolutely amazing!

Let me introduce the awesomeness that is... Copper Girl, book one in the Copper Legacy Series.

Copper Girl (Copper Legacy #1)
Jennifer Allis Provost

Published By: Spence City
Publication Date: June 25, 2013
Genre: Adult - Dystopia/Urban Fantasy
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
Sara had always been careful.
She never spoke of magic, never associated with those suspected of handling magic, never thought of magic, and never, ever, let anyone see her mark. After all, the last thing she wanted was to end up missing, like her father and brother.
Then, a silver elf pushed his way into Sara's dream, and her life became anything but ordinary.

There are no words to explain just how excited I am for this book to be released into the world. I was lucky enough to get an ARC from Spence City of this book and I devoured this book. It is genuinelly phenomenal. I just adored every single second of it. It's one of the most unique books I have ever read and I loved that it has a mix of two genres. It's an Urban Fantasy novel set in a dystopian society... that is just so awesome to mix those genres. I adored it. Check back on June 12th to see my review as part of the blog tour.

The Copper Legacy Series will look like this:
#1 Copper Girl
#2 Copper Ravens
#3 Copper Veins
#4 Copper Princess
^Information from www.jenniferallisprovost.com

Now I am so excited to welcome the phenomenal Jennifer Allis Provost here.

-->
Hi Jenn
Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.
Thank you for having me! You know how I love to talk J
Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?
It’s completely, totally awesome! My first exposure to Spencer Hill Press was when they accepted one of my short stories for their UnCONventional anthology. I was thoroughly impressed with their attention to detail – you get more editing at SHP that at most of the larger publishers. When you pick up a title from SHP, you know you’re getting a quality product. 
So you have a book, Copper Girl coming out with Spencer Hill Press. What was the inspiration behind the story?
As you know, Sara works in an office that cranks the air conditioning to Arctic proportions. A few years back, I had a similar experience in my office and got into the habit of spending my lunch hour in my car, warming up. I parked near the back of the lot, and I’d end up staring at this weird pine tree every day – it was like someone had taken two trunks and knotted them together. That tree became the Lover’s Pine, which became from where Micah used to watch Sara.
Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?
Max is, without a doubt, my favorite. He’s that perfect blend of noble intention and bad execution.
Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?
Hmm… maybe the scene in the oak? ;)
So I absolutely loved the book I thought it was fantastic. What gave you the idea to do a fantasy with a twist of a dystopia-type society?
I got to wondering what it would be like if the world had had magic, but then it was taken away. How would people who’d once freely used magic react to living like regular people? Mundane people, even? I was also a bit fascinated with the idea of such an oppressive government, and the lengths people would go to in order to hang on to their sense of normalcy.
I loved the different Elementals in the book, where did that idea come from and how did you develop it?
I make jewelry, and I love working with copper findings. In the summer of 2011, I was in a bar in New Hampshire with two of my friends, (we’d just heard Neil Gaiman read from American Gods - he was AWESOME!). The ladies’ room at the bar had the most beautiful copper sinks and fixtures, and I remarked that copper was my favorite metal. One of my writer friends (I can’t remember which one) had said that I should write a story about copper. This was around the same time I’d seriously started thinking about Copper Girl, but I hadn’t quite yet worked out how to make the magic different. (The working title was Dreamwalker) Then it hit me – Sara is an Elemental, with her power based in copper. The idea of Elementals grew from there.
Copper Girl is categorized as the Urban Fantasy genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?
Well, I didn’t, actually. I first wrote it as a YA, but the story just didn’t work. Then I rewrote it as a paranormal romance; it was better, but it still wasn’t quite right. So, I added missing family members, chopped out a big hunk of the romance, and ended up with an urban fantasy. Serendipity at its finest.
So is there any inside information or sneak-peaks about Copper Girl that you can give us?
Little known fact: my short story Zombie Love Song takes place in the same world as Copper Girl. You won’t find Sara or Micah, but there are plenty of Peacekeepers and zombies. It’s in the Hell Hath No Fury anthology, which you can learn more about here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11326194-hell-hath-no-fury
Copper Girl is due for release in June. How excited are you about releasing the book into the world?
I can’t even believe it! It seems so unreal.
And finally what can we expect from you in the future after Copper Girl?
Copper Girl is the first in a four book series, The Copper Legacy. The next installment, Copper Ravens, is due out in May 2014, followed by Copper Veins, in May 2015. The wrap-up, Copper Princess, will release in May 2016.
Also, there is a spinoff duology in the works that will feature two of the secondary characters. I’d tell you which two, but it would be a huge spoiler for the rest of the series ;)
Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round
Contemporary or Paranormal? Paranormal
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Dystopia
Hardcopy or E-Book? Hardcopy
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Bookmark! Don’t hurt the books!
Book or Movie? *Usually* book
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
Summer or Winter? Summer
Ice-Cream or Cake? Ice cream
Coffee or Tea? Coffee. Lots.
Nice guy or bad boy? Heh ;)
Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today.
Thank you for having me!
Isn't she just awesome?
Don't forget to check Copper Girl out landing here on June 25th.
^Click to be taken to pre-order page
 photo kayleigh.png 

1 comments:

  1. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can
    survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had
    to share it with someone!

    Feel free to visit my website :: Christian Louboutin
    [ngosummit.com]

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment