Monday, December 3

Closed Hearts (Mindjack trilogy #2) review

Closed Hearts
Susan Kaye Quinn

Publication Date: 23 May, 2012
Finish Date: 2 December, 2012
Format: e-book

From Goodreads:
When you control minds, only your heart can be used against you.

Eight months ago, Kira Moore revealed to the mindreading world that mindjackers like herself were hidden in their midst. Now she wonders if telling the truth was the right choice after all. As wild rumors spread, a powerful anti-jacker politician capitalizes on mindreaders’ fears and strips jackers of their rights. While some jackers flee to Jackertown—a slum rife with jackworkers who trade mind control favors for cash—Kira and her family hide from the readers who fear her and jackers who hate her. But when a jacker Clan member makes Kira’s boyfriend Raf collapse in her arms, Kira is forced to save the people she loves by facing the thing she fears most: FBI agent Kestrel and his experimental torture chamber for jackers.
Closed Hearts is the second book in this Mindjack Trilogy and I think it's even better than the first one. This story is original, fast paced and full with action. I did had some problems at the start of the book with remembering what happened in the first book and with remembering the meaning of some words the author made up for this series. But soon I was in the story again and I really enjoyed it.

The story picks up not far after the ending of book 1, it was some time ago that I read book 1 so at the beginning I had some trouble remembering what was going on, but luckily it didn't took me long to remember again and get into the story. There is lots of action in this book and I like the fact that big things happen in the middle of the book and not only at the end as happens in some books. There were some surprising twist and turns, but there were also some parts that I didn't like and it felt like they achieved nothing at all.

In this book we get to know a few new characters and I really liked getting to know them. I can't wait to read the two short stories about two of these characters that the author wrote, because I want to know more about them. The sad part was that the focus is more on what's happening than on getting to know these new characters, so I hope the short stories will focus more on the characters. I also think some characters made some stupid mistakes along the way and some of the drama could've easily be prevented.

The world building is pretty original. In this book there is only a little bit added to the world we already learned about in the first book. The focus clearly isn't on exapnding the world building. I did like getting a better sense of how the world reacts to the discovery of jackers, although I wonder how people in real life really would react if something like this happens, because I had the feeling some parts were a little bit exaggerated.

To conclude: a fast past, original story with lots of action. Some surprising twists and turns and some new characters, but also some parts I didn't like and I would've liked getting to know these new characters better. there is not much added to the world building, but I liked seeing the world reaction to what happened at the end of book 1. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series!


Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment